D&D General Fantastic Dragons in D&D’s History

GreatestHonor

Explorer
For a long time I’ve wondered about who are the most interesting dragons in Dungeons and Dragons History. While I am largely familiar with the Forgotten Realm’s powerful Inferno and the ghost-like Palarandusk. I’ve never heard of powerful dragons outside of the sword coast. This is mainly due to the fact that I really only have experience with 5e, but I wanted to know other people’s favorite dragons from Dragonlance, Everton, Greyhawk, or any other setting (official or otherwise). So to summarize, what are some of your favorite dragon characters in D&D?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The map from White Plume Mountain had a reference to Dragotha, the undead dragon/dracolich. That inspired the imagination. And when Paizo published the Age of Worms AP, set in Greyhawk, they expanded on Dragotha lore and made him a core encounter in the campaign.

There was also Brazzemal, the red dragon in G3. He also appears in the Ave of Worms.

Plus, there are two other significant dragon NPCs in Age of Worms. For an AP focused on Kyuss-based undead, there are a lot of dragons in it.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
The map from White Plume Mountain had a reference to Dragotha, the undead dragon/dracolich. That inspired the imagination. And when Paizo published the Age of Worms AP, set in Greyhawk, they expanded on Dragotha lore and made him a core encounter in the campaign.

There was also Brazzemal, the red dragon in G3. He also appears in the Ave of Worms.

Plus, there are two other significant dragon NPCs in Age of Worms. For an AP focused on Kyuss-based undead, there are a lot of dragons in it.
I heard of Dragotha before (didnt look into them much though), but never Brazzemal, who has quite a fun tale from the bit I could find from a quick google search. I love that the rebellion couldn’t directly confront him, so a curse that sickened him was used. Very cool!

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Ashardalon was name-checked throughout the originally 3E adventure path before showing up in Bastion of Broken Souls. Since then, he's started in a minatures board game and reappeared in various forms as one of the most ambitious and dangerous red dragons in D&D.
Ashardalon is actually among my fav versions of DND Immortality.

Not ready to die? Tear out your heart and slap in a balor. Just 300 easy installments of 499 gp and a whole lot of slashing damage.

Stormonu

Legend
Skie, the blue dragon of the Blue Lady (Kitiara) of Dragonlance is probably my favorite.

In fact, Dragonlance has quite a few named dragons - Khisanth (black), Ember & Flamestrike* (red), Sleet (white), Cyan Bloodbane (the most bad-ass green I know of) and Dargent (silver), to name a few.

* Flamestrike actually has a sad backstory, in DL2 she takes care of the kidnapped children in Pak Tharkas as she thinks of them as her own baby dragons she lost.

Ashadarlon, the red dragon with a balor's heart, from 3E got his own 4E boardgame.

Flame, the red dragon from Dungeon #1, was popular enough he got featured in another adventure in a later Dungeon magazine.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Skie, the blue dragon of the Blue Lady (Kitiara) of Dragonlance is probably my favorite.

In fact, Dragonlance has quite a few named dragons - Khisanth (black), Ember & Flamestrike* (red), Sleet (white), Cyan Bloodbane (the most bad-ass green I know of) and Dargent (silver), to name a few.

* Flamestrike actually has a sad backstory, in DL2 she takes care of the kidnapped children in Pak Tharkas as she thinks of them as her own baby dragons she lost.

Ashadarlon, the red dragon with a balor's heart, from 3E got his own 4E boardgame.

Flame, the red dragon from Dungeon #1, was popular enough he got featured in another adventure in a later Dungeon magazine.

Awesome. Almost all of these ive never heard of before.

Skie is pretty cool, i agree.
Love Flamestrike’s blaze of glory
And I honestly I’m surprised that I have never heard of Flame before. That diamond lair is insane

Voadam

Legend
My favorite picture of a D&D dragon is Skie from Dragonlance.

1701700956055.jpeg

Voadam

Legend
I also like Tiamat as an indestructible force of destruction rampaging across the world as a threat to even the BBEG. I like dragons as powerful intelligent magical beasts that do not speak.

1701701458901.jpeg

GreatestHonor

Explorer
My favorite picture of a D&D dragon is Skie from Dragonlance.
Great picture too. Really captures that classic fantasy vibe.

My favorite dragon picture is probably Imryth by Annato Finnstark
IMG_0705.jpeg
Or the MTG piece Tyler Jacobson did of Tiamat
IMG_0706.jpeg

Of course there are tons more pieces of dragon (and fantasy in general) art that I love, even if I can’t remember them all rn.

Remove ads