D&D 5E Fantasy Appalachia

You accidentally gave me a hilarious idea to try: Corny, as a bard + The Brothers Grimm movie where they're con artists who fake monsters to 'save' villages from... until they do find a real monster. I'm not as deep in wrasslin' as Cornette and some are, but I love hearing him talk about the 'old days' of kayfabe and the lore and psychology of wrestling
Jim Cornette is problematic and stodgy (and probably racist as well), but he is so intelligent, charismatic and entertaining that it's often easy to go along for the ride.

Plus he is incredibly pro animal (and the best way to set off that legendary Cornette temper is to do animal abuse in his presence).

And honestly, he lives in a family mansion that's called "Castle Cornette" so no way it wouldn't exist in any version of Fantasy Appalachia as a set piece (essentially this world's version of Castle Amber or Castle Greyhawk). :D

DL8pDOKVAAAsMII

Last edited:

Redwizard007

Adventurer
How Appalachian are we trying to be? Technically, the mountain range extends into Scottland, and they pronounce it... ... nevermind. Definitely not worth the flack.

Aldarc

Legend
If one wanted to do "Fantasy Appalachia," IMHO, the Land itself should be treated as if it were a vital character rather than simply a backdrop, much in the same way that the Mists or the Demiplanes of Dread in Ravenloft have a certain "character" and life to them.

Me too. I love the idea of occult Americana. Unfortunately I am torn by the fact that I love the Cypher system but feel it is a rotten choice for this particular subject, the (in my opinion) weakness of Cook's ability to adapt his work to other uses (for reference, the 5E Numenera conversion which I was not a fan of, despite loving the setting) and the fact that I started to listen to the podcast and found it not to my taste. The lore, as I have read it, seems compelling and creepy, but the delivery did not work for me.

All the right ingredients, in theory, but for some reason the combination leaves me cold. I would love to have my snap decision be proven wrong, though.
Maybe, but Tammy Ryan (Monte Cook Games) is also from Wise County, Virginia, where the co-creators of Old Gods of Appalachia come from, so there was likely a connection there. IME, most people are convinced that their favorite system(s) would be the best choice for adapting anything. From what I could tell of the playtest document and quickstart, it does a serviceable job.

Aldarc

Legend
  • Rolling mists and impenetrable fog, possibly coming from dragons slumbering in caves
  • Treants, hill giants, and sentient dire beasts roaming virgin forests as custodians
  • Hedge witches and druids providing mountain herbal remedies, curses, and wards against dark forces, such as hags and undead
  • Bards preserving oral traditions through Appalachian stories, sayings, and folk music or delivering news between communities
  • Isolated towns, villages, and communities as tiny points of light
  • Decentralized, non-hierarchical (or at least hierarchical resistant) churches and clergy dedicated to the Light, focusing on pious individualistic spirituality and resisting the wicked temptations of devils

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases