From Combat to Diplomacy

taotad

Explorer
Hullo!

Looking at the combat system in d20, I can't help but wonder if it's really only an extension of the usual skill system.
Realizing this I wondered if it wasn't possible to treat a conversation or non-combat diplomatic action in much the same way.
A rogue could for example use the sneak attack damage as a DIPLOMACY or BLUFF bonus against flat-footed opponents (storming into a speech by the local mayor, flamboyantly accusing him of wileness) or by cooperating with another character ("flanking" him with arguments instead of swords) bringing him down with words.
Altering how sneak attack works could apply to a Aristocrat-Rogue type.

I could also picture a Paladin standing in a crowd of bystanders using his lay on hands to strengthen his speech by divinity. Or a ranger using animal empathy to make the birds stop singing while he explains calmly a religious issue to a non-believer.

Maybe this would downplay the bard a bit though, but making a diplomacy-system with the same intricasies as the tactical combat system of the d20 has a certain appeal.

Feed me...

peterka1

First Post
Ok for abilities with limited use per day.....

But those such as rogue's sneak attack... will unbalanced diplomacy (diplomacy + 5d6 at skill!!!!!!)

peterka1

First Post
Consider diplomacy to end combat...

If an opponent is already scared, frightened (not panicked!), dipomacy may help to surrender... without bloodshed.

I would apply reaction chart...

hostile -> helpful is hard...

calm -> surrender is the same, with all the fear states in-between...

taotad

Explorer
OK, see your point.

But I can also see that the aristocrat NPC class is to puny to represent a diplomatic reality. Making the D&D combat system into a D&D diplomacy system could be very easy too. Let's change the scene a little:

Instead of using Hit Points let's use the total Skill points of the character (a little stupid, but can be justified because of simplicity). When involved in a diplomatic battle, instead of loosing Hit Points, characters would loose Diplomatic Points. When all points is lost, the character would be out of arguments, and effectively out-argued.

NOW the rogue can use the sneak attack and flanking bonuses under special circumstances. Mages can also use spells that deals with people to make diplomatic "damage", strengthening his own cause.

This would of course require a whole new system, but I think it would make combat-oriented players more likely to enter a discussion with clear-cut rules.

Thanx for the time

peterka1

First Post
The DMG chart for reaction is not enough ? If you want to apply it for other social aspects, consider the charts of TORG. A successful roll of intimidate, taunt, etc. give a result:

stunned, fatigued, panicked, etc. for intimidate

depending on the roll... as reaction in DMG for diplomacy
it is faster than combat...

Last edited:

Remove ads