G/O Media lays off journalists, including Linda Codega

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just before the holidays for extra cruelty.

Remember, corps are never your friends and never have your best interests at heart.

If a corporation cannot be your friend, it also cannot be intentionally cruel. Those are two sides of the same coin.

Back in March, 2020, I was working for a small startup company. We were lucky, in that there was nobody in the company who could not work remotely. So, when covid rose, making the call to give everyone a bit of a budget for office furniture they might need, and send us all to work from home, was an easy one.

They also made us a promise - nobody was going to get laid off. They kept that promise for over two years. When the greatest danger had passed, and the economy had started picking back up, they had to trim down. This wasn't because they were cruel, or because they weren't our friends. It was because the company's financial run rate was just too high for the amount of business it was doing. They had to trim down or they'd not be paying anyone's salary.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
If a corporation cannot be your friend, it also cannot be intentionally cruel. Those are two sides of the same coin.

Back in March, 2020, I was working for a small startup company. We were lucky, in that there was nobody in the company who could not work remotely. So, when covid rose, making the call to give everyone a bit of a budget for office furniture they might need, and send us all to work from home, was an easy one.

They also made us a promise - nobody was going to get laid off. They kept that promise for over two years. When the greatest danger had passed, and the economy had started picking back up, they had to trim down. This wasn't because they were cruel, or because they weren't our friends. It was because the company's financial run rate was just too high for the amount of business it was doing. They had to trim down or they'd not be paying anyone's salary.
You can definitely be cruel to people and not care about them at all. It happens every single day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You can definitely be cruel to people and not care about them at all. It happens every single day.

You can do harm to people and not care about them. Or you can do harm without meaning to do so. I think most folks think of cruelty as being willing and intentional, which would seem to me to imply caring about what they feel.

I guess YMMV.

Remove ads