Gamehackery: Valar Morghulis and DMing

The roots of fantasy are pretty well planted in Tolkien; and a very important part of Tolkien's work and interest was linguistic -- he developed complete languages for his books, including elvish, multiple human languages, Entish, and more. Other writers have used languages -- real or fictional - to help create their worlds. Just a few key examples from my own bookshelves: Latin, used in...

The roots of fantasy are pretty well planted in Tolkien; and a very important part of Tolkien's work and interest was linguistic -- he developed complete languages for his books, including elvish, multiple human languages, Entish, and more.

Other writers have used languages -- real or fictional - to help create their worlds. Just a few key examples from my own bookshelves:

And, of course, there's Klingon. And a ton more.

So, language is an interesting tool in fiction -- and it's an important tool for understanding different cultures.

Don't Bring up The Snowflakes

Languages are an expression of the way a culture thinks -- concepts that are important to them will have a wide variety of names for different flavors of a concept. Ideas that are not important to them may be very difficult to express when translated from another language.

[video=youtube;Km9-DiFaxpU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Km9-DiFaxpU[/video]

Check out this video -- it's a quick profile of a kid who speaks 20 languages. He says a couple of interesting things about language in there -- some interesting ideas about how the language you're speaking can make subtle differences in who you are and how you think -- but also that you can see the entire history of a culture in it's language.

Languages in RPGs

So, yeah. Then we turn a corner and land on D&D, and see "Common." And there really isn't anything wrong with common -- it's a convenience, a way of handwaving away the problem of language so it doesn't get in the way of the story and the game -- and that's a very real concern. For one thing, not all players are going to be interested in complex linguistics in their games.

At the same time, we can use real or invented language to inject a dash of flavor and texture to our game worlds. After a while, how do you differentiate between Orcs and Hobgoblins and Bandits and Gnolls in your games? What sets them apart? A little flavor of their native language might help differentiate.

A Study in Profanity

Battlestar Gallactica gave us "Frak." If you're watching Defiance, you've heard "Schtako." Farscape invented "Frel." No one had any trouble understanding the "real" word that was being referenced here -- there's a 1-to-1 relationship between these words and the words we might use. The actors seem a little silly saying them -- and rather than helping us understand the gravity of a scene, we have a little smirk -- we are reminded that they're doing this little bit of sleight of hand to get by network censors, and then have to make our way back into the story. It's a terrible idea.

Now, consider HBO's Deadwood. David Milch, the show's creator, talked in the DVD commentary about the really foul language* used by the characters, and explains that in a lot of cases, those are not exactly the words that would have been used at the time, but he's essentially translated them to our contemporary analogs so we get the feeling of the moment -- that truth of the story, rather than a less important factual truth.

For my money, that's the right way to handle it.

*Seriously, go watch Deadwood, you might learn a few new insults. It's an education.

Don't Wookiee It

I'm a rabid Star Wars fan, but one of the disappointing things about Star Wars is that, by and large, the other languages that we encounter in the movies -- like Shyriiwook (Wookiee) or Jawa -- tend to be incomprehensible, unrepeatable. We get a Threepio -handled translation when we need it, but the hoots and roars that make up these other languages don't really add the same sort of depth and texture that Klingon adds to Star Trek.

So, what we don't need is translations -- what we want is something else.

Valar Morghulis

So, then, when characters in George RR Martin's work pass around terms like Valar Morghulis -- why is that so good? Why is Ta Havath (from Joel Roseberg's The Sword and the Chain Series) evocative?

Valar Morghulis is translated for us as "All men must die" -- but we understand that those words themselves are an imperfect expression of the real meaning of the phrase. It's an imperfect translation because a true translation can't be made. And not just because it's an idiomatic expression, but because there isn't a good translation. It's an idea that can only really be expressed correctly in valaryan.

And that, I think, is a way to try to think about the use of other languages in your game. If you're developing a culture that your players need to interact with, spend a little time thinking about the concepts and ideas that this culture might have that will stand out as new or unusual to outsiders. What idioms would come naturally out of their culture

The Importance of Idioms

An idiom is a phrase or expression that has figurative meaning beyond the literal translation. The Wikipedia page about idioms offers a good explanation, and uses "kicked the bucket" as an example. Anyone who doesn't speak English who hears a translation of that phrase will have no idea what that means, but it's pretty well understood by English speakers.

Come up with an idiom for that phrase. So, for example, I want to make my Orc culture a little more interesting in my world. I think about the barbaric, nomadic, raider culture that they have. Perhaps I want to accentuate their penchant for ambush tactics (and their related fear of being surprised themselves). I pick an idiom that makes sense for them -- let's say "Sleeping buffalo has no horns." That's a good start, but I also need to try to 'translate" that into Orcish.

Tools & Gadgets

So, unlike an Oxford Don with tons of time on his hands, we need to come up with a translation in a jiffy and we probably don't need a whole defined language behind the scenes. There are a bunch of different tools you can use to try to come up with a translation of your phrase.

I'm especially interested in the power of a quick combination of these tools. We've come up with the Orcish idiom "Sleeping buffalo has no horns." Lets come up with a unique, interesting translation of what the phrase sounds like in Orcish.

I want to uses the Risus Monkey generator to create the actual phrase, but that requires a chunk of sample text to generate the cypher -- and for that, I will rely on Google Translate to create a block of sample text.

So, here's my recipe. I take the section of this article titled "A Study In Profanity" and I take it to Google Translate. There, I paste it in as English and pick a language to translate it into. I picked "Khmer" because it seems to have some sounds that fit what I want. So, I get a translation of that section that looks like this:

[sblock]Battlestar Gallactica bratan yeung " Frak " . brasenbae anak kampoung meul Defiance anak banlyy " Schtako " . Farscape bangkeut " Frel " . kmean norna mneak mean banhhea knong karoyl peaky " pit " del trauv ban yong now tinih namuoy - vea mean tomneaktomnng tow 1- 1 - rveang peaky teangnih ning peaky del yeung ach nung brae . tuoangk del meul tow hakdauch chea la techtuoch daoy niyeay tha puokke - ning cheacheang chuoy aoy yeung yl pi pheap thngonthngor nei chhout muoy noh yeung mean smirk techtuoch - yeung trauv ban romluk phng der tha puokke kampoung thveu nih bantich nei sleight nei dai daembi ttuol ban daoy b ntanh truotpinity , haey banteabmk mean daembi thveu aoy vithi robsa yeung tralbmokvinh chaul tow knong rueng nih .

ilauvnih chaur pichearna Deadwood HBO robsa lok . lok David Milch , anakabangkeut kar bangheanh robsa noh ban niyeay nowknong attha thibbeay dividi ampi pheasaea foul pitchea ban brae daoy tuoaksaar ning ban ponyol tha nowknong chraen karnei muoy del minmen chea pitchea peaky del nung trauv ban brae now pelnoh te bonte keat ban bakabre chea sarovont puokvea tow ana lauk sahasamy robsa yeung dauchneh yeung ach ttuol ban arommo nei pel bachchobbann nih - karpit nei ruengreav del cheacheang chea karpit factual minsauv saamkhan .

champoh louy robsakhnhom tha chea vithi khangosdam daembi krobkrong vea .[/sblock]

And I use that as the model text for the Risus Monkey Cyhper, and that gives me a translation of "Sleeping buffalo has no horns" as "nuekkoh pektire ching ve cheang." What's fun about that is the "ching ve cheang" strikes me as the sort of alliterative sounds that could easily make a phrase become an idiom. Perhaps "Ching ve cheang" will become the shorthand for the phrase as Orcs talk about the value of taking opponents unawares.

What I'm left with, in my finished product, is a snippet of "orcish" that I can use to add a little flavor to an encounter with orcs in an upcoming game session. By keeping my block of model text handy, I can always go back to Risus Monkey and generate more phrases based on the same cypher.

So, now it's your turn. What are your favorite fictional/fantasy languages? What have you done to create language-based flavor in your games?

Edited: To make corrections called out by DarkCyril in his comments, below.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
This kind of real-world shorthand is nice, particularly for an RPG, where you can get a lot out of a quick connection. I'd be less enthused about a book full of 1-to-1 correspondences to real world languages (and not really accurate ones at that), but in a game, I think it works great.

I think this is a pretty good insight -- one more way in which our expectations from a good game are very different from what we expect in good fiction.

There's a challenge there, though.

For Example: I work a lot with people putting together powerpoint presentations. They often assume that it's just fine to use the expedient of just doing a google search for a graphic and using whatever comes up, regardless of the copyrights of the owner of the image.

Now, for a small internal presentation, that's widely seen as not a big deal. And, like eating grapes in the grocery store, it's far too small a cheat for anyone to care about putting a stop to it. But that doesn't really make it okay.

So, maybe, because we create our games for an audience of 6, not 6 million; because we don't make any money on our games (if you do, I want to hear about your system!), and because we don't have the time to invent whole new dialects every time we want to introduce a new culture... we take the expedient of making Dwarves Scottish, Elves French, and so on. Those are the grapes we steal. No one cares, it's probably just fine to do it that way, it's following long-standing precedents.... but it's not quite right, either.

I dont' know. My dwarves aren't going to stop being Scottish (and not even real scottish, but that over-the-top Mike Myers scottish from So I Married An Axe Murderer) anytime soon. But it's interesting to think about.

-rg

Mallus

Legend
This kind of real-world shorthand is nice, particularly for an RPG, where you can get a lot out of a quick connection.
Spot on!

A GM has to convey information & make an impression quickly. It's a live performance. Evocative and familiar-sounding names/language beats a glossary of invented words (almost) every time.

I think this is a pretty good insight -- one more way in which our expectations from a good game are very different from what we expect in good fiction.
Think of it this way: at the table, a role-playing game is more like live theater than written fiction. Everything is spoken. The experience is immediate, sequential, and fleeting -- there's no leisurely considering the text, no re-reading a prior section. There's only what gets remembered, so making a strong first impression -- ie, not confusing people too much with invented words or intentionally dereferenced invented cultures -- is (more often that not) a good thing.

Which is why nBSG's "frak" is terrific: there's no ambiguity about what it means (and it sounds like an expletive to an English speaker). It's very effective. Another measure of its success -- it's used by mainstream media writers, in articles that have nothing to do with the nerd-o-sphere. It's made it into everyday language.

So, maybe, because we create our games for an audience of 6, not 6 million; because we don't make any money on our games (if you do, I want to hear about your system!), and because we don't have the time to invent whole new dialects every time we want to introduce a new culture... we take the expedient of making Dwarves Scottish, Elves French, and so on.
I think we choose expediency --grab the low-hanging fruit-- because it's almost always the better approach.

For example, I DM for a PhD in linguistics. I'm fairly sure he has no interest in my half-assed dabbling in his field of expertise. And if he were to DM a linguistics-focused game -- bringing his training to bear-- it would be lost on me and everyone else at our table, as soon as things got more complicated than an NPC named "Gnome Chomsky".

Its not that I don't care about language in my games. I do! A lot! But I try to limit myself to language the participants understand (excluding my occasional foray into traditional syllable slaw-style "fantasy sounding" names).

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads