Games 3/7

Grimhelm

First Post
I am planning on hosting games this coming Saturday. Depending on crowd (and I do expect a sizeable one) I am thinking a two table solution will be best. This might also allow those players who enjoy strategy/martial games to pair off and play two player games while the numbers/resource managing people can play their games on the bigger table.

So far, I believe I am counting on:

Vince, Frank, Megan, Harry, Alex, Charles, and myself. That is seven adults already, not counting Victor and Laurie. Of course, we will be playing Wings of War. Frank, apparently is so excited that he ran out and bought more planes! Poor sucker. I hate to kill him...

Anyway, Bob, Chris, Craig... let me know if you are coming. Maybe we can get Ryan over too...

ps--- in case anyone is wondering, I will not be playing games that turn me into a crybaby. I will likely stick to the martial/strategy games. I enjoy them so much more, win or lose. Bob, I am really hoping for a game of Conflict of Heroes. Also, Craig, if you can bring Tide of Iron... or if you don't come, maybe I could borrow it again? I probably ought to just buy those two games...

Last edited:

BobProbst

First Post
I'm afraid I'm staying home. Martie and I are going out to see a movie for the first time in months.

I was hoping to try to find a night this week to get over and play CoH but that might have to wait until next week -- We're potty training Noel and it's been troublesome.

Grimhelm

First Post
I'm afraid I'm staying home. Martie and I are going out to see a movie for the first time in months.

I was hoping to try to find a night this week to get over and play CoH but that might have to wait until next week -- We're potty training Noel and it's been troublesome.

Well, maybe we'll just have a big Wings of War day. I think, given the crowd, Formula De might go over well... maybe we could borrow that, Bob?

Let me know about CoH... I am up for it...

I wish I could give you potty training tips. We just let Pablo and Mathilde pee in the back yard. Eventually they knew the feelings associated with going and they just trained themselves. I never gave them a lesson even once... :)

InzeladunMaster

First Post

What are you going to go see? I went and saw Taken the other day and it was a heck of an entertaining movie. It was action-packed like Die Hard, but without all the humorous quips (when the hero of Taken killed someone, he just killed him. No quips. No commentary. Just a bullet.). It kept me on the edge of my seat.

BobProbst

First Post
Probably Slumdog Millionaire. I'm guessing that never knowing if the children will have food or when they might break into song will keep us on the edge of our seats.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Probably Slumdog Millionaire. I'm guessing that never knowing if the children will have food or when they might break into song will keep us on the edge of our seats.

What is that movie? Until it won all kinds of Academy Awards, I had never even heard of "Slumdog Millionaire." Someone told me it was a modern "Citizen Kane" with a question at the beginning, but it takes the entire movie (basically an examination of his life) to give the audience the answer. Don't know if that is the case or not, just what a student had said.

Anyway, please let me know if it is worth watching, or if it is a Citizen Kane-like bore-fest.

Grimhelm

First Post
I had heard of it. It seems like it is worth watching. I will likely Netflix it, due to budgetary constraints. Unless I get a girlfriend who wants to take me out on a date.

BobProbst

First Post
Well, I'd like to hear about it from a person I know. I am just worried it would be a Citzen Kane-like bore-fest. Hopefully it isn't.
CK is absolutely amazing in small doses. I do find it self indulgent and the plot is frequently prosaic. But Orson Welles gives a gripping performance and the craft of the film-making continues to delight me.

Slumdog was getting great reviews in late 2008 and only recently made it into general release.
Fox Searchlight said:
The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Each chapter of Jamal's increasingly layered story reveals where he learned the answers to the show's seemingly impossible quizzes. But one question remains a mystery: what is this young man with no apparent desire for riches really doing on the game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out. At the heart of its storytelling lies the question of how anyone comes to know the things they know about life and love.

Remove ads