• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gary Achievements

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Macabre? No more macabre than any other posthumous award I would have thought.

There's a difference between giving a person an award posthumously, and making up an award for that person, posthumously.

If Morrus wants to establish a "lifetime achievement award" for the Ennies, then by all means, Gary Gygax should probably be the first to receive it. But that's a bit different from taking the electronic equivalent of a Bedazzler to his forum account.

Imho, anyway.

Heathen72

Explorer
There's a difference between giving a person an award posthumously, and making up an award for that person, posthumously.

If Morrus wants to establish a "lifetime achievement award" for the Ennies, then by all means, Gary Gygax should probably be the first to receive it. But that's a bit different from taking the electronic equivalent of a Bedazzler to his forum account.

Imho, anyway.

Hey, we aren't the ones who added achievements, xp, gear etc to Enworld! If you find the addition of such 'bedazzling' to be tacky, lacking decorum, or potentially perhaps you shouldn't have added them. Or had such fluffery be opt in, instead of opt out.

As I said, it was a sweet idea. Perhaps a better response to it might have been "That's a nice thought, but on consideration we thought better to not give posthumous achievements" instead of suggesting his idea was macabre, lacked decorum, and was the equivalent of bedazzling.

I only say this because both of you are mods, and one of you is the owner of the site (even if you aren't wearing your Mod size 12's) so I think it behooves you to treat well meaning suggestions with gentility and respect. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey, we aren't the ones who added achievements, xp, gear etc to Enworld! If you find the addition of such 'bedazzling' to be tacky, lacking decorum, or potentially perhaps you shouldn't have added them. Or had such fluffery be opt in, instead of opt out.

Well, from my point of view I didn't see it as a binary choice between Gary Gygax having them posthumously or nobody having them. I kinda figured there might be a middle choice, which is the one I personally prefer.

As I said, it was a sweet idea. Perhaps a better response to it might have been "That's a nice thought, but on consideration we thought better to not give posthumous achievements" instead of suggesting his idea was macabre, lacked decorum, and was the equivalent of bedazzling.

I only say this because both of you are mods, and one of you is the owner of the site (even if you aren't wearing your Mod size 12's) so I think it behooves you to treat well meaning suggestions with gentility and respect. :)

I do try to speak in formal-customer-service-non-speak 24/7, but I'm afraid it's not in my skill set. I'm afraid you get personal service here, with both its benefits and disadvantages. At the least, you know you're dealing with people. :)

Sometimes I gotta offer an opinion. Sorry, man - but my personal feeling is that the idea is a bit macabre! Maybe that puts some people off occasionally, but if it's a choice between that and my own sanity (which clearing my every word all day every day through a PR analysis would be), it ain't a hard choice. I've even accepted that daring to disagree with people costs me customers, but it's a price I'm comfortable with. :)

Here on EN World, you get real people, warts and all.*

*I have no warts.

Last edited:

Heathen72

Explorer
Sometimes I gotta offer an opinion. Sorry, man - but my personal feeling is that the idea is a bit macabre!
*I have no warts.

Fair enough. And let's face it, calling something macabre is hardly a hanging offence! I just wanted to stick up for whisper72.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

This isn't a matter in which I have any particular say, and I wasn't expressing any official announcement - in this I'm just another board member with an opinion, and I said pretty clearly it was just my personal thought.

Remove ads