D&D General Getting The Gold Out of the Dungeon

MarkB

Legend
Magical creature eggs might be an interesting 'treasure'. If their parents were part of the dungeon's defense system and were taken out, and the party want to recover them either because they want the innocent young to survive, or because they want them as pets, or because someone's paying good prices for them, they could cause a conundrum.

They can be quite large, require careful handling, you can't put them in a bag of holding (eggs require oxygen to absorb, or the embryos will die), and they may attract poachers and predators alike.

Magical creature eggs might be an interesting 'treasure'. If their parents were part of the dungeon's defense system and were taken out, and the party want to recover them either because they want the innocent young to survive, or because they want them as pets, or because someone's paying good prices for them, they could cause a conundrum.

They can be quite large, require careful handling, you can't put them in a bag of holding (eggs require oxygen to absorb, or the embryos will die), and they may attract poachers and predators alike.
This is the kind of non-typical treasure I like.

I want anything other than literal rando treasure gems and stuff. I want art with story, random but valuable monster things, magic items, manifestations of concepts, etc.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I had an adventure hook where someone would trade their life for a valuable secret - the location of a large chunk (I mean : boulder) of purple jade. Bringing this boulder back to the metropolis would be a significant undertaking.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In another adventure, the party found tons of copper in oxide ingots. It worked out for the party as said party was looting the tomb of a city founder - on the city's behalf and the city minted all that copper into fat copper coins...

(the recap, if anyone cares:
"4: Grave Hunt: The scribe Ophelos has found an old parchment indicating the true location of the tomb of Selecus I Nicator, founder of Zeugma (one of Alexander's generals). The city approaches the party to go on an expedition in exchange for a share of the treasure. After a few days of travel, the tomb is found inside a barrow which the locals swear is haunted. After defeating the goblins inside (who were tricking the peasants into making offerings) and the undead guardians, the tomb is secured, will with many historical artefacts and quite a lot of treasure, including the griffin's claw, an enchanted sword made of Damascus steel."

... looks like at the time I didn't consider the detail about the copper worth writing down!)

MarkB

Legend
In another adventure, the party found tons of copper in oxide ingots. It worked out for the party as said party was looting the tomb of a city founder - on the city's behalf and the city minted all that copper into fat copper coins...

(the recap, if anyone cares:
"4: Grave Hunt: The scribe Ophelos has found an old parchment indicating the true location of the tomb of Selecus I Nicator, founder of Zeugma (one of Alexander's generals). The city approaches the party to go on an expedition in exchange for a share of the treasure. After a few days of travel, the tomb is found inside a barrow which the locals swear is haunted. After defeating the goblins inside (who were tricking the peasants into making offerings) and the undead guardians, the tomb is secured, will with many historical artefacts and quite a lot of treasure, including the griffin's claw, an enchanted sword made of Damascus steel."

... looks like at the time I didn't consider the detail about the copper worth writing down!)
Half the time even copper pieces aren't worth the effort of hauling away. Copper ore skewing the weight-to-value ratio even further? Seems like it literally wouldn't be worth the cost of bringing it back to town.

Remove ads