Good systems for running Discworld?

Blacksad

Explorer
I don't think D20 needs to be modified too much to work for discworld.

As said in the GURPS book, you shouldn't use system with high hit points, as it remove the fear of death, for this you could use the grim & gritty hit point and combat rules from: http://www.sleepingimperium.rpghost.com/
It recreate perfectly the fear that discworl heroes have from a fireball or falling from a cliff or an angry troll.

For the mages, the magic system is similar to the standard wizard, with probably the removal of the summon familiar ability (make it a feat), and a use/creat rod ability instead (using rules from the psi srd/handbook for crystal capacitor or something like that).

I don't know how the witch magic work, but waiting for the return of the witch and warlock netbook at the fantasy community council might help a lot here.

Wicht

Hero
Personally I would use Toon. :D

The Tooniversal tour guide has a DnD like campaign setting and the overall rules of the game are geared towards low comedy. For Disc World I would want to aim for quick humor over complex rules (Toon in a nutshell) and the Toon rules are flexible enough to make just about any Disc World character you want. :cool:

PenguinKing

First Post
Daniel Knight said:
Spells on the Discworld must also be memorised from books before being used, once again paying homage to D&D.
Tho' Discworld wizards can also whip out spells on-the-fly, though generally nothing more powerful than what would be considered a cantrip in D&D terms. What would you call that - spontaneous casting, but limited to 0-level spells?

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

JDeMobray

First Post
I would use BESM 2e, but then again I use that for almost everything nowadays. Cohen is a Combat Monster, Rincewind has Speed, Carrot has an Aura of Command, Detritus inflicts Massive Damage and is Damn Healthy!.

Remove ads