• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gratuitous gore (eyeball gumbo!)

I'm trying to think of the word but its just not coming to me. A word that describes the rather corny genere of creatures that appear most often in the Fiend Folio, though nearly all the others as well in some form. Something that conjures images of 'really' cheap pre-80's horror flicks and sci-fi theatre of the 60's. Creatures with mouths for eyes, great elephant sized brains leaking blood to slip about on, pulled by atrophied tentacles. Phlegm and gengrene and bile. Gup gup, splurt splurt! Spleens and livers and vomit, oh my! SPLEENS AND LIVERS AND VOMIT, OH HO!

---

This was brought on by mentions of, for example, the creature who 'slavers the thought of crunching on teeth and fingernails!' or the beast who sends out collections of undead runny eyeballs. And what was it, some shapeshifter from Monsters of Faerun that sticks its tongue down your throat and eats your bowels. Why? Whats in the bowels? Oooh, wait, its because its all icky icky! And don't get me started on all this stupid illithid stuff thats nothing but brain this, brain that... do I try to animate cheeseburgers for guardians? Maybe stick some big gossamer wings on it and let it scout for me? Intellect Devourers = stupidest creation of WOTC to date so far (though many others come close).

In all seriousness, whats up with these creatures? Utter senseless gore that somehow explodes or infects or chokes. I'm no fan of gore on the best of days (or is it the worst of days?), but even still I would think more tasteful ( :rimshot: ), somewhat more imaginative creatures could have been put in in their place.

Krishnath

First Post
Ey, the Malaugrym and Illithids are cool, 'kay. The illitids eat lichens and fungus as well as brains, and can sustain themselves on that type of fare indifinitly, they as a races, just think that the brains of sentients are a delicacy best served fresh. And the Malaugrym don't have to stick their tounges down your throat and kill you that way, they just like to do it because they are a bunch of evil sadistic bastards. :p

Remove ads