Have you RPed getting your companion?

Sethian

First Post
Is it so unusual to want to RP getting ones companion?

I got the bug eyes look from my 'walking resource' when we were discussing my Ranger I mentioned the fact that I was going to actually be Rping through getting my companion and not just playing through like *poof! level four and have a companion now!* and I promptly got the bug eyes look. (He never did explain why he was giving me the look tho as he was more interested in speaking ill of my ranger's stats.) He's not apart of the Game I'm in and our game focuses on a very nice mix of RP and Kick in the door and one of my Rp opportunities is set to be working towards getting my companion, which will take a couple levels likely as the companion I'm going for is harder to get.

Is it so unusual to want to RP getting ones companion?

I got the bug eyes look from my 'walking resource' when we were discussing my Ranger I mentioned the fact that I was going to actually be Rping through getting my companion and not just playing through like *poof! level four and have a companion now!* and I promptly got the bug eyes look. (He never did explain why he was giving me the look tho as he was more interested in speaking ill of my ranger's stats.) He's not apart of the Game I'm in and our game focuses on a very nice mix of RP and Kick in the door and one of my Rp opportunities is set to be working towards getting my companion, which will take a couple levels likely as the companion I'm going for is harder to get.

I've had a player roleplay bonding with their animal. It was a dog that she rescued from some goblins. The goblins were torturing it. She nursed the dog back to health; took it to a priestess of Ehlonna for blessing and started training it. As a reward to the roleplaying, I gave the dog slightly better stats. :)

As both a DM and a player, I've had the pleasure of roleplaying the meeting and relationships for cohorts. I had a PC that that once spared the light of a random enemy soldier and took him prisoner. As the campaign was went on, the two became fast friends and they eventually adventured together.

Always roleplay. Always. Maybe instead of random wolf popping out of its pokeball, you'll be able to bond with the pack alpha! Maybe it will be slightly stronger. Maybe it will open up more opportunities for you. Or, at the very least, you can pick what it looks like.

Sethian

First Post
I've had a player roleplay bonding with their animal. It was a dog that she rescued from some goblins. The goblins were torturing it. She nursed the dog back to health; took it to a priestess of Ehlonna for blessing and started training it. As a reward to the roleplaying, I gave the dog slightly better stats. :)

As both a DM and a player, I've had the pleasure of roleplaying the meeting and relationships for cohorts. I had a PC that that once spared the light of a random enemy soldier and took him prisoner. As the campaign was went on, the two became fast friends and they eventually adventured together.

Always roleplay. Always. Maybe instead of random wolf popping out of its pokeball, you'll be able to bond with the pack alpha! Maybe it will be slightly stronger. Maybe it will open up more opportunities for you. Or, at the very least, you can pick what it looks like.

I've always been the roleplay and roleplay often kind of player. Which was why it seemed so odd that he didn't understand what I was talking about lol. And he's a D&D vet knows all the rules and has most of the books and spends day and night thinking up BA OP Broken characters lol.

My companion is coming to me as a bit of a reward for handling our other PC as well as I have despite issues he causes out of game, and for having created a way for my Berlios and him to come to terms and hopefully eventually become allies. His player and I get along great and both of us get into the RP so well that we've actually had to start writing it out because we were stressing the other players with the argument they were having over the Drow refusing to set free a Phynxkin when he set free all 12 humanoids that had been kidnapped for slavery. The Drow refused to accept that keeping the Phynxkin for himself instead of finding a way to free it, and also caging it, was tantimount to slavery.

S

Sunseeker

No, I've had people want to, but they did it at tables where the DM thought that meant he got to have a hand in it, which translated the whole thing into the DM assigning a bunch of checks to what should have been simple RP and an automatic class feature gain and ended up with an unhappy player with no animal companion.

So, I guess make sure your DM isn't going to stick his fingers in your cookie jar.

Sethian

First Post
No, I've had people want to, but they did it at tables where the DM thought that meant he got to have a hand in it, which translated the whole thing into the DM assigning a bunch of checks to what should have been simple RP and an automatic class feature gain and ended up with an unhappy player with no animal companion.

So, I guess make sure your DM isn't going to stick his fingers in your cookie jar.

That is some serious bull on that DM's part..I could understand adding rolls if the Companion was outside of the norm, but to just leave them with no companion at all is just shady as all get out. Everything should have been set up for a low chance of failure if they were going to add rolls it's only fair given the consequence of failure in this case.

In my case I accept the roles because A. not to meta game but I know by my level 4 or a little after I will have my companion and as she likes to keep things fair and to let me lose my chance at a companion and then let the Drow fighter still get his Phynxkin would be very unfair and cause all kinds of trouble. and B. it is way off the normal companion lists (Lesser Drakkensteed) and so would I think naturally would take more to get as a companion so I was happy to opt for the rolls since she's letting me start working towards getting said companion when Berlios is still at ranger level 2 (I took a rogue level for that sneak attack and to put some time between my ranger levels so I could put the work into my companion.) So by the time I reach level 4 He should have already worked with the Drakkensteed enough to have it bond as a companion like normal.

nijineko

Explorer
We RP all such additions to the party, after discussion and planning with those affected. Familiar, animal companions, followers, henchmen, new party members, you name it.

We do make exceptions for those of our players who are uncomfortable with rp, and arrange an alternate, though still logical in-game, intro method. After all, the point is to have fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases