D&D 5E Help balancing a Humanoid Dragon class

Here's what I was thinking. Clearly, if you have different imaginings of what each dragon type is like, their general "flavor," any and all of these choices can be redone/spells replaced.
I like this but True Strike is practically useless if not just a downright hindrance. The exception is if you have a Sealed Drakonsoul Augmenter. That entire ability was designed to make it actually useful.

Now for argument's sake, if the white dragon opened combat as an ambush it would be very effective to try and drop that cleric or other magic caster.

On another note, I love dragons. Because I love dragons, what about sapphire, fang, deep, and so many other dragons that 5e has left out. Honestly, I think having a psionic gem dragon being cursed with a human form would be very interesting.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I like this but True Strike is practically useless if not just a downright hindrance. The exception is if you have a Sealed Drakonsoul Augmenter. That entire ability was designed to make it actually useful.

Now for argument's sake, if the white dragon opened combat as an ambush it would be very effective to try and drop that cleric or other magic caster.

On another note, I love dragons. Because I love dragons, what about sapphire, fang, deep, and so many other dragons that 5e has left out. Honestly, I think having a psionic gem dragon being cursed with a human form would be very interesting.
I honestly know nothing about "fang" or "deep" dragons, but when I was orignally writing it up, I WAS thinking in terms of Chromatic, Metallic or Gemstone (psychic), Fae or SHadow as options. I would LOVE a gemstone dragon trapped in human[oid] form. It could actually be used as an entire setting's reason WHY there are psionic people/persons.

But sure, yes. There's no reason you could expand the "dragon types" as far as you wanted/have in your world. The Iron, the Mercury,...the Steel? ...

Honestly, I Know nothing abotu "True Strike" I just saw itas a "something" to plug in where other, more flavor specific, things were not readily available in the list of cantrips. Feel free to change it at your whim.

I honestly know nothing about "fang" or "deep" dragons, but when I was orignally writing it up, I WAS thinking in terms of Chromatic, Metallic or Gemstone (psychic), Fae or SHadow as options. I would LOVE a gemstone dragon trapped in human[oid] form. It could actually be used as an entire setting's reason WHY there are psionic people/persons.

But sure, yes. There's no reason you could expand the "dragon types" as far as you wanted/have in your world. The Iron, the Mercury,...the Steel? ...

Honestly, I Know nothing abotu "True Strike" I just saw itas a "something" to plug in where other, more flavor specific, things were not readily available in the list of cantrips. Feel free to change it at your whim.
I will probably change it to Shillelagh or Primal Savagery which still fits the bestial and physical powerhouse nature of said dragons. For context, the old "True Strike" spell just gave a flat +20 to hit and it only took a standard action. It pretty much guaranteed a hit hence the name "True Strike."

As for your comment on gemstone dragons. You have got to stop giving me so many good ideas. I made my own homebrew world for my Pathfinder 1e (and soon to be my own system) campaigns and this will fit in perfectly. For example, in this world, no one knew what caused it or who started it, but dragons went in an all-out war against the mortal races. As a result, few remain and are mindless beasts that are killed on sight. However, this was actually caused by what are effectively Lovecraftian angels (real angels exist but these aren't them) corrupting the land in an attempt to spread a false faith. I could use this class to explain how dragons still exist but are hidden in this form. The new form also protects them from the mental corruption of the angels. (now for the part you gave inspiration for) Now enter the secret society of psionic totally not dragons that monitor the fake angels and spread psionics to select people to resist this multiversal threat.

Here is a link for a lot of D&D lore. The ones with dragons in them cover some of the details on fang dragons (15th in the playlist) and one specific emerald dragon. As for some not so well know dragons, look up Dragon Magazine 356 and find the offshoot of metallic dragons, the ferrous dragons.

Last edited:

Remove ads