HELP - Kingdom Building

Schmackboy

First Post
Looking for a little help in kingdom-building.

Got tossed the DMing role for a Scarred Lands campaign. Since one of the characters is a princess who will soon be returning home, I need to create a small kingdom and slip it into the current map.

Seeing as how I'm hellaciously busy right now, I'd prefer to adapt something in print somewhere, or perhaps use someone else's stuff to create it.

I've bought OF SOUND MIND and plan to use that village, as well as Monte's BEYOND THE VEIL. The latest DUNGEON has some communities I'm going to steal. But right now I don't have the "big picture" of the entire country, so to speak.

Any products I should look at? Perhaps something from Greyhawk would do, or Forgotten Realms? The kingdom should be predominently human, and nothing all that high fantasy or "out there."

Thanks for any help!

Magnus

First Post
the last coule of weeks, this is exactly what's been the focus of the newsletters from roleplayingtips.com. they archive the tips on the site, so you shouldn't have a problem findingthe older ones. good luck! :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Cool! Of Sound Mind should translate beautifully into the Scarred Lands; merely replace some of the bad guys with the appropriate titan-spawn, and you're good to go. Note that technically the "ultimate bad guy" doesn't exist in the scarred lands as written, but that's easy to house rule or substitute.

I would slip the kingdom into somewhere near Virduk's empire. That way they have either already been invaded, or they have an uneasy alliance with the threat of being invaded. Makes for good political backdrops!

Emiricol

Note that the March issue of Dragon Magazine (#293) has a spiffy rehash of the old Bloodline rules, and the issue as a whole is somewhat focused on world building

Schmackboy

First Post
Really appreciate all the help, gents.

Pcat: On OSM, Great work! Can't wait to run the adventure.

In regards to Ghelspad geography, I've slipped it into that little flat area south of the Stricken Forest, north of the Hornsaw Forest, west of the Haggard Hills, and east of the Gleaming Valley.

Her kingdom has been taken from her by a vampire warlord...

:D

Schmackboy

First Post
Magnus,

www.roleplayingtips.com is an excellent site. Thanks for the pointer!

I had the player playing the Queen/Princess log on and read the tips about building background, and now she's typing up some history and fleshing out her family tree.

It's a great resource. Thanks again!

Remove ads