D&D 5E Help me choose my next class

Azurewraith

Explorer
So I'm in the process of making a new PC(wooo all you guys that mostly dm know how I feel right now). I'm wanting to play a Gish. I just can't choose which that's why I'm here sell it to me. Only requirements is the class uses both blades and spells and you have some actual experience with what your trying to sell me, something that looks fun on paper isn't always fun in play.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well, to narrow down your interests, which of these would you choose if you had to pick one:

Eldritch Knight
Bladesinger
Valor Bard
Arcane Trickster

WarpedAcorn

First Post
The search for the perfect gish has been my mission since I started playing D&D again about a year ago. Technically I'm still searching...

That being said, I think my top finalists are: Valor Bard & Sorcadin. A Dark-Horse candidate is Cleric(War) 1/Wizard(Abjurer) X.

One thing I have learned is that thanks to the SCAG cantrips, you don't NEED Extra Attack options so long as you aren't using Great Weapon Master. While rolling more dice is fun, the Extra Attack on a normal Longsword is only going to be around 1d8+3, and by 5th CHARACTER LEVEL (underline for the most important feature since most Gish builds are multi-class) those SCAG cantrips are adding 1d8 damage plus extra effects. It basically makes the Extra Attack redundant unless you are frequently making special attacks like Shoves or Disarms.

So as for my choices:

-Valor Bard has, on paper, everything a Gish needs. Its a full spellcasting class with offensive, healing, and support spells as well as the feature to grab a few spells that aren't on your list eventually to round out your arsenal. They get decent HP, access to Medium Armor and Shields as well as a full selection of weapons, and the Extra Attack option. For other tiers of play they get plenty of skills that can keep them viable in any group.

-Sorcadin is what my next character is lined up to be. This one has some flexbility and variance depending on if you want to go harder on the spells or the sword. But going Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 3 gives you some solid skills. The biggest boon is the ability to Quicken spells like Blur and still Attack. You will have higher level spell slots than known spells, but you can burn these for Divine Strike or Sorcery Points as needed. This character turns more into a Nova-Fighter who can deal respectable damage and stay safe, but has the capability to go nuts in a pinch.

-Cleric/Wizard is an option I looked at recently. You would get full spellcasting options as well as the ability to attack multiple times a round with the War domain if you needed. You could also wear full plate armor and buffer lower HP with the Abjurer Shield. The biggest boon with this is spellcasting flexibility, granting you some of the great 1st level Cleric spells that can be upcast, but also the full Wizard list. Again, you will mostly rely on the SCAG Cantrips, so this one is probably best with a Sword and Shield set up.

Azurewraith

Explorer
The search for the perfect gish has been my mission since I started playing D&D again about a year ago. Technically I'm still searching...

That being said, I think my top finalists are: Valor Bard & Sorcadin. A Dark-Horse candidate is Cleric(War) 1/Wizard(Abjurer) X.

One thing I have learned is that thanks to the SCAG cantrips, you don't NEED Extra Attack options so long as you aren't using Great Weapon Master. While rolling more dice is fun, the Extra Attack on a normal Longsword is only going to be around 1d8+3, and by 5th CHARACTER LEVEL (underline for the most important feature since most Gish builds are multi-class) those SCAG cantrips are adding 1d8 damage plus extra effects. It basically makes the Extra Attack redundant unless you are frequently making special attacks like Shoves or Disarms.

So as for my choices:

-Valor Bard has, on paper, everything a Gish needs. Its a full spellcasting class with offensive, healing, and support spells as well as the feature to grab a few spells that aren't on your list eventually to round out your arsenal. They get decent HP, access to Medium Armor and Shields as well as a full selection of weapons, and the Extra Attack option. For other tiers of play they get plenty of skills that can keep them viable in any group.

-Sorcadin is what my next character is lined up to be. This one has some flexbility and variance depending on if you want to go harder on the spells or the sword. But going Paladin 6 / Sorcerer 3 gives you some solid skills. The biggest boon is the ability to Quicken spells like Blur and still Attack. You will have higher level spell slots than known spells, but you can burn these for Divine Strike or Sorcery Points as needed. This character turns more into a Nova-Fighter who can deal respectable damage and stay safe, but has the capability to go nuts in a pinch.

-Cleric/Wizard is an option I looked at recently. You would get full spellcasting options as well as the ability to attack multiple times a round with the War domain if you needed. You could also wear full plate armor and buffer lower HP with the Abjurer Shield. The biggest boon with this is spellcasting flexibility, granting you some of the great 1st level Cleric spells that can be upcast, but also the full Wizard list. Again, you will mostly rely on the SCAG Cantrips, so this one is probably best with a Sword and Shield set up.
That wizard/cleric sounds interesting not something I would of thought of.

Remove ads