Help with CR, please...

sylvyr

First Post
Okay, I have a party of 6 people (That's huge for me), and I'm having difficulty deciding what CR of creatures to place them up against... Does anyone have a good Idea? They are all the same level 4 right now. But CR fours are easy, and 5s can sometimes be pretty easy. I'm also a pseudo-munchkin when I play a char, so I can use the monsters properly. Anyhow... suggestions?

BMF

First Post
It depends more on the creature than the CR. There are some CR 4 and 5 monsters that have serious damage reduction. If your characters don't have magic weapons, they'll be killed.

On the other hand, there are some CR 5 and 6 that are not too bad.

Generally, I'd look at CR 5 creatures. One thing I've noticed is that when monsters get to CR 5 they get a lot tougher. Most CR 5 monsters have rend, rake or some other major attack method.

You might also think about large groups, or mixed groups, of low CR monsters. One Orc is easy. 20 Orcs, with a 5th level leader, 2 3rd level captains and a 2nd level shaman are a lot tougher. Add a few ogres for even more fun.

jollyninja

First Post
take the cr4 and 5 monsters and give them extra hit di or class levels, as long as you do not give them many hit di, you do not have to alter the CR but it makes them a little tougher, this continues working forever.

Last edited:

Remove ads