• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with ideas for a high magic zone mechanic

As a follow up to the low magic zone topic, I'm also working on a region of the world that has particularly profuse and easy magic. For this area, the goal is sort of a "fairy tale kingdom". Magic is both better here in some way, and more widespread. Magical creatures are more common than normal. I'm thinking of these two mechanics:

-When you cast a spell using a spell slot, you can regain a spell slot of a level no more than two levels lower than the expended slot
-Saving throws against spells and magical effects (see the description of "concentrated magic" in the other thread or Sage Advice) have disadvantage, and spell attack rolls have advantage.

While I'm going to have more practitioners of magic, including using some of the more magical subclasses of fighter and rogue that I might not have available in other parts of my world, I don't necessarily think I need mechanics that are character focused rather than just the general environment mechanics. I will use my custom "high magic" item creation prices, which makes it easier to create magic items here then my standard or low pricing schemes.

What alternate mechanics would you suggest? Any considerations to think of that I missed?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
While it wouldn't affect every spell, I think spells cast in the area are cast as if with a spell slot of 1 level higher might be good for a high magic area. Otherwise the two options you've mentioned are also good ideas.

Remove ads