Hi!....I'm new :)

Arken

Explorer
Hello everybody I'm a big fan of the creature catalog and so thought I'd join.

To make this thread somthing other than useless I'm going to ask a question :)

This has probably already been covered (or I just can't read the entry in the book properly) but in Oriental adventures I couldn't see any caster levels given to the lung dragons. is this the case and if so is it meant to be the case?

If not then what would you suggest as a suitable way of working it out?

PS. Hello again :p

Krishnath

First Post
First, let me say welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll like it :D

Secondly: It appears that Lung dragons do indeed not cast spells as sorcerers, not to worry though, they have more than enough spell-like abilities and special attacks to compensate for this lack, and besides, you can allways tag a couple of sorcerer levels unto them if you feel like having a spellcasting lung ;)

Arken

Explorer
Thanks for the welcome...:)

and thank you for your point on the dragons :) but I still would have a problem...for example comparing the celestial lung dragon to the gold dragon at the same age catagory they are almost identical EXCEPT that the gold dragon has a caster level (as a great wurm its like fighting the equivelent lung dragon and a 19th level sorcerer). Despite this the lung dragon actually has a higher CR.

Also the introductory passage on Dragons in Oriental adventures mentions that you should use spell like abilities at the Dragon's caster level. That would mean you had to cast meteor swarm as a level twelve caster.

Shall I just give the lung dragon the same caster level as a dragon i judge to be equivalent? I know I can give them caster levels as I deem correct and will do so but its nice to consult people first :)

Wolf72

Explorer
opposites?

well you could go to the opposite extreme and use their HD as caster lvl?

some of the spell-like ability descriptions give a caster lvl right?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
If the Spell-Like Abilities give a Caster Level, that is the one I would use for the Lung Dragons, otherwise, I would just reference the MM and set their caster level for arcane spells equal to a dragon of equal HD (e.g., a great gold wyrm and great tien lung wyrm are both HD 41 so they both would be caster level 19th).

Arken

Explorer
Thanks for the help I think I'll try the equivalent option (ie. Both the Gold Dragon and Tien Lung have 41HD etc.)

I could try the sage though...never tried that before.:)

Remove ads