Hoping to clear up some confusion.

Vanor

First Post
Some people seem to be under misunderstanding about what happens to yellow belts. At first there were no green belts, so yellow belts could pick their dojo style.

Now there are green belts, that means when someone becomes a yellow belt 0, they can join a Dojo and pick one of the dojo's styles, as their dojo style.

Or they can keep fighting as a yellow belt, and forgo having a dojo style.

A yellow belt doesn't need to join a dojo to fight, but one does if he/she wants a dojo style.

Darkwolf

First Post
It was in my last battle with Vanor. The judge asked what my dojo style was. I didn't post one because I didn't have one but it seemed like he wanted me to have one. Reason it matters is the record of the dojo. I have no problems being a member now but I kind of felt forced to joining in the middle of the battle due to the judge.

Phoenix8008

First Post
So the question now is this: does the fight that he started before joining Kith's dojo count on the dojo record if he joined in the middle of a fight because he felt pressured to?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Darkwolf said:
It was in my last battle with Vanor. The judge asked what my dojo style was. I didn't post one because I didn't have one but it seemed like he wanted me to have one. Reason it matters is the record of the dojo. I have no problems being a member now but I kind of felt forced to joining in the middle of the battle due to the judge.
I didn't "want" you to have one; I just asked you what your style was, and you said that you "Never got one... Do I just pick one?" - to which I explained how picking a style is done. And you then said that you'd pick nature & harmony.
I iidn't mean to force you, Darkwolf; you should have said so if you didn't want one! ;) Your having a dojo style - or not - isn't improtant to me; I only wanted to clarify things, and help you get what you want.

Darkness:
Darkwolf, what is your dojo style?
Darkwolf:
Never got one...
Do I just pick one?
So I explained to him how to get a dojo style:
Darkness:
Did you become a Yellow Belt before or after there were Green Belts? If before, you must choose your own dojo style; if after, you must choose a Green Belt whose style you wish to adopt. You may only choose one of a teacher's signature styles as your dojo style, not one of his dojo styles.

Teachers can be found here.
Darkwolf:
Going to join the dojo of nature and harmony..I guess..fits the best IC..

Lets just say its Thunder for right now..as thats what I'll choose after I get a reply to Phoenix's thread

Vanor

First Post
This is my opinion on the matter.

I was willing to let Darkwolf fight as if he had joined the dojo in question.

Techinaly he couldn't join a dojo durning the middle of fight, but in the name of fareness, I was willing to let him have access to the dojo style... Which really wan't a factor in that game.

So I don't think his loss should count against the dojo's record.

Wicht

Hero
If the thunder style was never a factor in the fight I would say not to worry about it one way or the other Phoenix.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Wicht said:
If the thunder style was never a factor in the fight I would say not to worry about it one way or the other Phoenix.
Thanks, Wicht; I just came here to point out that the fight was over before was done with learning the style and so this shouldn't be held against the dojo. Also, in retrospect, the whole affair was obviously confusing for Darkwolf, and so I'd say that he should be able to think about this, and then join the dojo (or another) if he wants to, or don't join a dojo - whatever he likes best. See, I didn't want to force him to join a dojo, but as Vanor pointed out in the very first post of this thread, signature styles are very confusing. Also, my original intent in asking for his dojo style was the distinction between becoming a Yellow Belt before or after there were any Green Belts. But his answer, or rather the question, "Do I just pick one?" led me to summarize how dojo styles are picked. From there, the misunderstandings only grew in scope. :( I thought that how to pick up a dojo style was the only thing he was confused about, but I really should have known better than to assume that anything was clear as far as dojo styles being concerned: I was quite confused by them myself before asking other judges and fighters how they were supposed to work. So it's only understandable that I'm not the only one; check the description of dojo styles in either FAQ - they are not exactly complete.

Remove ads