How do you, the writer, take notes from the game?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
To be honest, I wouldn't have time to take down notes in the middle of the adventure. How do you manage it?

Lots of practice from my other website.

In just a few words, I can jog enough of my memory to dredge up the actual gaming experience. Assuming the moment was memorable, of course-- but if it wasn't, I probably didn't make too much note of it anyway.

I have a good memory for good times; if I am enjoying the experience, I will remember it for months. (Or years... This one time, my high school girlfriend... Sorry, nevermind.)

Now, a bad session (which I have from time to time!) is the opposite end of the spectrum. I am not enthused about the game, or my notes, and I think I may actively try to forget it.

Wulf

Broccli_Head

Explorer
NiTessine said:
I sometimes jot down a few notes, but nothing big. Usually, I just write from memory.

So do I, although recently especially with the Stormwolf stuff, I have been asking the players for notes. It helps to get a better perspective on what occured.

diaglo

Adventurer
jot notes down during game. and keep a journal after game. i write the story after reviewing both my notes and my journal.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I offered a small amount of experience points* to any player in my group who wanted to write up "After Action Reports" of the sessions. I could then use these as an outline to write from.

Unfortunately, I implimented this way too late in the campaign to be of real use (which is one reason that I'm woefully behind on updating my SH). But I'll do it again for my next campaign.

*I should also note that I gave experience points if players painted figures or drew maps or anything else that contributed materially to the game.

Taboo

First Post
I've started keeping notes during the game now that I'm writing a story hour. The early part of my story is from memory (that taught me a lesson...doesn't work very well!)

During combat, my notes are really rough, so I run that part by my DM since he keeps track of who gets hurt and who does damage.

Our DM gives some (not a lot, it's an incentive) XP based on roleplaying, but gives me a break because the group also uses the story hour as a reminder of what we've done (it's kind of a journal), so it helps out everybody. It's a little hard to roleplay really well when you're writing all the time!

If I forget anything, the rest of the group or the DM usually lets me know, but basically, I take notes as we go along.

Milo Windby

First Post
I write quite a bit down during the game. Such as who hit who and where so and so moved. I find it helps to paint the picture of the scene in my mind. Although that may contribute to my battle descriptions being overly detailed. I do try to tone it down though.

I find I have the most trouble with pc/npc interactions. Frog gets into character and I like to capture that in my story hour, but the dialogue often gets away from me. I find myself taking massive creative license with the write-up. Anybody else have trouble with that?

Remove ads