• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a dragon extraplanar.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:

Sorry about that, I just ate, makes me drowsy and reduces my attention, I'll fix it. :D

No problem. I just ate as well, so I understand the drowsies.

Planeborn Creature

Planeborn creatures are born on planes other than the Material Plane. Althought they are not much different than their native cousins, they do possess innate magical abilities that allow intraplanar and interplanar travel.

Creating a Planeborn Creature

"Planeborn" is an inherited template that can be added to any creature that does not possess the Extraplanar or Native subtypes (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A planeborn creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type does not change, but it gains the Extraplanar subtype. Size is unchanged.

Special Qualites: A planeborn creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature, and gains the following ability:

Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day--greater teleport (self only); 1/day--plane shift (self only). Caster level equals creature's Hit Dice.

Environment: Any plane, other than the Material Plane.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

Gez

First Post
Technically, the Native subtype is "mute." Anybody who hasn't the Extraplanar subtype has the Native subtype. Because it's an either/or thing. You can't be neither native nor extraplanar.

But it's "mute" in that it's useless to always precise a creature is native. So it's done only for outsider. An elf is in fact a humanoid (elf, native), and when moving to the astral becomes a humanoid (elf, extraplanar).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I struggled with that. Perhaps it would be better to just say it can be added to any creature not native to the Material Plane?

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Yeah, I struggled with that. Perhaps it would be better to just say it can be added to any creature not native to the Material Plane?

Don't you mean native rather than not native?

Drowsiness? I think so. ;)

I think it would be best if the template said something like:

"Planeborn" is an inherited template that can be added to any aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, or vermin, that does not possess the extraplanar subtype on the material plane.

Remove ads