D&D General "I have had a 'D&D Hangover'" (a poll)

True or False: "I Have Had a D&D (or other RPG) 'Hangover'"

• True.

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • False.

Votes: 25 34.2%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Alcohol may or may not have been involved. . .;)

I have heard told of times, the day after a D&D (or other RPG session), that sometimes folks feel drained and let down. . . not necessarily because it was a bad session - though it might have been - but it could also be because you had a great and intense session everything afterwards feels like come down, and/or it could have been a particularly long session, or a session where you started with insufficient spoons, and/or ate too much junk food, or all of the above. . . You could be physically wiped out, or emotionally, or both. . .

I am calling this feeling "a D&D hangover."

Typically, I have heard DMs complain of this - but my guess is players might experience it too.

Maybe you have experienced once or regularly or only under certain circumstances - maybe this is false for you but you have heard of others experiencing this. . . . Sound off!

payn

Legend
I voted false, but only because of the next day requirement here. I have definitely gotten done with sessions and been totally wiped out. I dont even realize how much it took out of me until the session is finally over. Usually, a little relaxation and/or sleep and I'm as good as new. Does not run into the next day though.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Drained, yes. Let down, no.

Drained generally if I DM more than 7 hours in a day, like multiple games at a con or booking multiple pro games in one day. I would definitely say fried and exhausted would be accurate, but not feeling like the games themselves were disappointing.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I have had a next day hangover due to both exhaustion (a full day of being 'on', especially in RP-heavy campaigns) and due to the aftermath of pure joy at a session gone great. As DM's, that latter is what we're all chasing, right?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
After a gaming session, I frequently have to chill out and relax afterward (often by playing Stardew Valley or some other low-fi video game).
But calling it a "hangover" might give folks the impression that it's a Bad Thing, and that's not my experience. Most of the time it feels more like post-game excitement, or the hyperactivity that I get after watching a really awesome movie. I'm too excited to sleep, too eager for the next gaming session.

Very rarely do I feel exhausted or drained. I think it's only happened once or twice, and usually after a particularly bad gaming session (like when we spent the entire 5-hour game night on a single combat scene. Ugh.)

Alcohol may or may not have been involved. . .;)

I have heard told of times, the day after a D&D (or other RPG session), that sometimes folks feel drained and let down. . . not necessarily because it was a bad session - though it might have been - but it could also be because you had a great and intense session everything afterwards feels like come down, and/or it could have been a particularly long session, or a session where you started with insufficient spoons, and/or ate too much junk food, or all of the above. . . You could be physically wiped out, or emotionally, or both. . .

I am calling this feeling "a D&D hangover."

Typically, I have heard DMs complain of this - but my guess is players might experience it too.

Maybe you have experienced once or regularly or only under certain circumstances - maybe this is false for you but you have heard of others experiencing this. . . . Sound off!
What I've had is a couple of times is I had such a good time DMing/playing an RPG that literally everything else feels kind of hollow/pointless for a day or so. This doesn't just happen with RPGs I note, it's also happened with a couple of video games and books. Anyway that seems to fit.

But generally I feel strongly invigorated after running/playing RPGs, it's kind of weird.

WarDriveWorley

Adventurer
I've been playing almost non-stop since 90 (or so), including running games at a local game store and also managing their gaming inventory/TT employees for a time. Almost all of that gaming was as a DM. At one point in 2003 through 2004 (not long after leaving that position) I took a step back from gaming for a few months because I was a bit burned out. Not so much from games themselves, but from dealing with the same gamers (at that point it was a bit harder to find local gamers so we often played with who was available) and also constantly creating adventures. Still hung out with the real friends I made gaming and occasionally dropped in for a one shot, but went from approximately 6 games a week to none during that time.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I meant to include in the OP that this is distinct from "burnout" (see previous poll), which I see as long term, while this is a temporary one day at most kind of thing.
but not feeling like the games themselves were disappointing.

As I said in the post, it is not necessarily that the session was bad or a let-down, but as @Ruin Explorer suggested, that it could have been so great that everything else feels like kind of a let-down.

But calling it a "hangover" might give folks the impression that it's a Bad Thing,

I certainly did not mean it was "bad." I had plenty of actual hangovers in my younger days and that never stopped me from drinking and having a good time (though as I got older the balanced shifted where the degree of hangover was way out of whack with the amount of drinking and fun, so I had to learn to pace myself and not do it as often). Gaming can also be like that, where some of us as we get older, game for shorter sessions or for fewer people, or only at certain times, etc. . . Doesn't mean we like the games any less or that the potential drained feeling afterwards is wholly negative.

Dioltach

Legend
Sore neck and headache after an afternoon and evening of DM'ing. That's one reason I switched to boardgames during the two years before the pandemic. Since we've started playing D&D again (first online, then in person) I've been careful to vary the games, switch DMs and keep things much simpler than before.

I'm lucky to mostly leave my gaming sessions excited as heck. For my session that finishes up at 8:30pm, sometimes so much so that sleep takes a while to show up.

A truly bad session, though, that will take me a day or two to pull out of that funk. Everything seems a little duller for a bit.

1660587460814.png

But then I rally and start thinking about what went wrong, and how to do better the next time. And then it's onto the next gaming session.

I've needed some recovery days after a marathon session. Playing 24-36 hrs straight really drains you, even when doped up on candy & Mt Dew...

An Advertisement

Advertisement4