Improved disarm. Any good?

dazm

First Post
Like the subject says, is this feat any good?

The example I am thinking of is:
A pc with 2 attacks +6/+1 goes before his opponent.
Striking first for a normal attack he uses the second to attempt a disarm attack.
If succesful this would then require the opponent to retrieve the weapon (AoO) and no full attack option.

Have people tried this or similar does it work out? or invariably is it a waste of time?

thx

Crothian

First Post
Like everything else it depends on the situtaion. Disarm is useless is you hardly ever fight armed opponents, but is great for fighting armed opponents you don't want to kill.

Personally, I like it for a flashy swordsman. THere just needs to be a feat that allows one to fling the weapon aside so it doesn't drop at the opponts feet.

shilsen

Adventurer
As Crothian mentioned, it depends on the situation. Except I would add that it is great for fighting armed opponents in general, not just those you don't want to kill. For two high-lvl combatants, both of whom have multiple attacks, it can be invaluable. It is actually quite easy to disarm an opponent, and doing so ensures he has lost his weapon and needs to retrieve it or draw another, which draws an AoO and prevents him from making a full attack. even if he has quick draw, it still means he has lost his primary weapon, usually an enchanted one at higher levels.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
It doesn't suck. :D

Seriously, my group is starting another campaign soon and one of the players is going to be a fighter that specializes in tripping and disarming his opponents. This feat cancels the AoO your opponent would normally have and also does not allow your opponent to attempt to disarm you if you fail. If you want to disarm on a regular basis, this is the feat for you.

durath

First Post
THere just needs to be a feat that allows one to fling the weapon aside so it doesn't drop at the opponts feet

Couldn't you just use a move equivalent action to kick it behind yourself, or even pick it up yourself? I would certainly allow a PC to do so but I am not sure if the rules allow for that.

Aahz

First Post
If you had a free hand you could make use of the Snatch Weapon feat. Allowing you to pick up the weapon as you disarm it AND make an offhand attack with it (assuming you catch it in your offhand).

Christopher J. Bono

Crothian

First Post
durath said:

Couldn't you just use a move equivalent action to kick it behind yourself, or even pick it up yourself? I would certainly allow a PC to do so but I am not sure if the rules allow for that.

You probably could, but I want a chinimatic feat that allows me to disarm the opponent and fling his weapon forty feat away and land with the blade stuck in the floor. When I make a disarming character, I want to do it with style.

kreynolds

First Post
dazm said:
Like the subject says, is this feat any good?

The example I am thinking of is:
A pc with 2 attacks +6/+1 goes before his opponent.
Striking first for a normal attack he uses the second to attempt a disarm attack.
If succesful this would then require the opponent to retrieve the weapon (AoO) and no full attack option.

Have people tried this or similar does it work out? or invariably is it a waste of time?

thx

It's a waste of time. I prefer that every single one of my enemies has their weapons in their hands, that way they can hit me in the face with them. Why, oh why, would I want to disarm them? ;)

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Improved disarm. Any good?

kreynolds said:

It's a waste of time. I prefer that every single one of my enemies has their weapons in their hands, that way they can hit me in the face with them. Why, oh why, would I want to disarm them? ;)

I agree 100%. I perfer that kreynolds' opponents have their weapons in hand, so they can hit him in the face. :D

Remove ads