Improving wildshape

Zack2216

First Post
I was thinking about wildshape. Because you can't choose to have stronger forms of the same animal, I was thinking that maybe you could take feats to improve the ability scores of either a specific form or set of forms.

I. should this be one specific creature per feat, or should it be 1 feat per creature type?

II.Should this also be usable for people with polymorph and shapechange?

III. How much should this feat be able to improve a specific form?I was thinking on giving +2 to any physical ability form while in that form, but that might be a bit potent.

Please post your input.

Crothian

First Post
I think wildshape is pretty strong as it is. No need to increase the stats of the creature.

However, if you feel you need to do this limit the feat to specific creature, not creature type.

i allow taking an animal and 'super sizing' it with wildshape IF AND ONLY if it has multiple size catagories. Like a wolf for example exists as a medium size (2-3HD) and large (4-5 HD). So when the said druid gets Wildshape (large) i'd let them be a large sized wolf.

As a feat something like increasing a given animals size i'd allow

fba827

Adventurer
I wouldn't allow the proposed feat to allow increasing ability scores as is - but, rather, I would suggest going more along the lines of what has already been said: you can increase to a more advanced specimen of the creature. Just find an animal that has an advancement listing and then follow standard advancement rules (listed at the beggining of the monster manual) - this would as a side-effect increase stats as well.

My initial inclination is to make this proposed feat per creature.

Wild Shape Focus
Prerequisites: Ability to wildshape (large)
When selecting this feat, you also select one animal into which you can wildshape. The selected creature must have an advancement listing in its entry. From this point on, you can wildshape into an advanced version of the creature at any level of advancement that is allowed to the creature.
Special: This feat may be taken multplie times. However, its effects do not stack, you must select a new Wild shape focus each time.
Normal: You can not normally wildshape into more advanced animals, only the average animal of that kind.

The above is just a loose draft - I haven't actually sat down and thought about this any longer than the 5 minutes it took me to write it ;) So I make no claims for loop holes that may be there.

Hmm - I would also allow the above feat to expand to dire animal counter parts to the chosen animal (i.e. wolves and dire wolves, for example).

Note, the prerequisite is mainly for the purpose of establishing that the wildshaper has some experience with wildshaping. It isn't meant to say that the creature is large.

Just my personal opinions.

Thoughts? Comments?

Remove ads