Improvised (partial) Colossus mini!

Elfshire

First Post
So imagine the look on my parents' faces when I asked them to find me a mannequin head for my birthday. Here's what I ended up getting...

https://smile.amazon.com/Male-Head-...477677243&sr=1-5&keywords=gray+mannequin+head

borne_prop.jpg

His name is Borne. He's made of styrofoam, in a lovely dark shade of grey that looks almost exactly what I imagine adamantine would be like. I figure a prop like this will be great for both the Chapter 8 climax and the final showdown of Chapter 13, particularly for heroes that are going to end up climbing all over him. Pins will work well to adhere tokens or minis to him, and if he gets damaged in combat I won't cry if I have to put awesome-looking cracks or gouges in the cheap thing.

I'm thinking of mocking up some shoulders too (just a flat cardboard base with a grid on it to sit around the base of the head), and maybe some hands and feet too to show where Borne is stepping/climbing during those encounters. I was having trouble figuring out how big to make the hands and feet, though; but I was lucky to stumble across a passage in Chapter 7's In the News segment, saying that Borne's footprints left in his wake were 20 yards long. Math ensues: Let's see, a yard is three feet, so 20 yards is 60 feet, which means... 12 squares, or 12 inches... WAIT. Borne's feet are exactly one foot in length on a standard battlegrid? Clever. Somehow I just know Ryan did that on purpose!

Anywho, I'll post pictures when this happens later, my group's only just started Chapter 7. I am taking suggestions on how wide to make the hands, though, or any other additions/tweaks to this prop you think might work well at the table.

Elfshire

First Post
An interesting thought but... aside from painting my floor with a 1" grid, I can't think of a way that would work. Any surface I put the grid on is going to either crumple or slide when I step on it, and I can't very well hold a single footing for an entire 15-30 minute combat round (ah, yes, 4e turn bloat) while holding an armful of notes.

Tormyr

Adventurer
An interesting thought but... aside from painting my floor with a 1" grid, I can't think of a way that would work. Any surface I put the grid on is going to either crumple or slide when I step on it, and I can't very well hold a single footing for an entire 15-30 minute combat round (ah, yes, 4e turn bloat) while holding an armful of notes.

Go gridless. Use rulers and tape measures for distance. :devil: Then just play on the floor.

Remove ads