• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 In D&D 3.5, is there any way to...

Greenfield

Adventurer
Sorry about the title. I guess I've read too many click-bait ads. :)

I'm running a straight Scout in 3.5. He's just hitting 5th level. Scouts are not spell casters (to state the obvious).

Is there any way for a non-spell caster to gain useful access to the Craft Alchemy skill? Short of becoming a spell caster, that is? :)

For those who missed the fine print, the PHB skill description for Craft includes the DCs for several Alchemical items, but includes the caveat that only spell casters can craft these items.

Obviously the skill can still be used to identify potions and appraise alchemical items, but without the ability to actually make them the character is only getting about 25% of the skill's real function.

Ranes

Adventurer
I swear, titles like that never work on me, unless…

I can't think of a direct solution to your conundrum but there are a couple of feats in Complete Mage that might go some way to getting what you want. The Fey Heritage and Fey Presence feats (and their fiendish equivalents) grant SLAs. Couldn't you have a variant pre-requisite that works with Craft Alchemy the way bardic knowledge works with other knowledge skills? In other words, have SLAs qualify the character to find a harder method of making potions than would be the case for a spell caster.

Even better (and less clunky), I've just looked again at the spell-touched feats in UA and surely a home-brew spell-touched would be right on the money.

I realise you were asking for an extant solution but I know of none, sorry. Then again, I don't have much beyond the WotC stuff. Good luck.

Dalmosh

First Post
A 1 level dip into human paragon (UA) would allow for this, assuming you wanted to give up a whole level and are playing a human

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Respectfully, I don't think the human paragon class works like that.

To clarify: while the class would let you take the skill, you must still abide by the skill's rules. Alchemy requires being a spellcaster to make certain alchemical items, and nothing in the HPC changes that. Yes, it advances your spellcasting at 2nd and 3rd, but only if you are already a spellcaster.

Last edited:

Ranes

Adventurer
A 1 level dip into human paragon (UA) would allow for this, assuming you wanted to give up a whole level and are playing a human

You only gain spell casting as a human paragon if you were a spell caster previously. And then the character would require a two-level dip into the human paragon class.

Greenfield

Adventurer
With a DC 25 Alchemy check you can identify potions.

Without that you need to cast Identify, which uses a pearl that may cost more than the potion is worth.

Annnnd... that's about it. Oh, you get a +2 Appraise check when evaluating alchemical items, if you have 5 ranks in it.

rgard

Adventurer
Hi Greenfield, the only way I can think of is to take the Magical Training feat from the Forgotten Realms setting. It gives you 3 cantrips. That said, you are supposed to take this at first level. You need a 10 in Int (for casting as a wizard & and you need a spell book with the 3 spells in it) or 10 in Charisma to cast as a sorcerer. Not sure if the character can retroactively take that feat in the campaign.

Other than the above there are some prestige classes from the Complete Divine that look attractive as each gives access to spells and all 3 have craft as a class skill...

1. Holy Liberator - pre-reqs: Chaotic Good, +5 BAB, some skills and Iron Will. Don't lose any BAB (+1 each level). At first level you would actually need a bonus 1st level spell to actually cast a spell.
2. Divine Crusader - pre-reqs: need +7 BAB, need a god, the rest look easy, lose +1 BAB with the one level dip. At first level you would actually need a bonus 1st level spell to actually cast a spell.
3. Ur-Priest - pre-reqs: probably are a problem (evil, spell focus - evil, Iron Will and a bunch of skills he probably didn't take as a scout), and you lose +1 BAB with the one level dip.

With a DC 25 Alchemy check you can identify potions.

Without that you need to cast Identify, which uses a pearl that may cost more than the potion is worth.

Annnnd... that's about it. Oh, you get a +2 Appraise check when evaluating alchemical items, if you have 5 ranks in it.

To identify a potion, it's a DC 25 Spellcraft check.

UMD can identify items as well. Knowledge Arcana and Bardic Knowledge can be useful also. Check the MIC for details on those. Search may also reveal a clue as to the item's function.

To get Craft Alchemy as a non-caster, I'd say role-play it. If you've been working with a master alchemist for years, then perhaps you've picked up some things. You could go the feat route, but that just seems like a tax on the PC.

Remove ads