Is gaming your gateway?

The past couple weeks have been all about helping friends. It suddenly occurred to me that all these friends were gaming friends. When I look around, that's who most of my friends have become. But then I began to notice that it's not just my friends "circle" that is mostly comprised of gamers...

The past couple weeks have been all about helping friends. It suddenly occurred to me that all these friends were gaming friends. When I look around, that's who most of my friends have become. But then I began to notice that it's not just my friends "circle" that is mostly comprised of gamers...

I have mentioned before in my column that our gaming group is...long standing. The “new guy” has been gaming with us for over 18 years now. I’ve been gaming with my best friend since I was 12, which is (sigh) now 30 years ago.

When that same friend needed to move this past week, it was no surprise the group who showed up to help out was primarily our gaming group. In fact, since he’s currently GMing, we just called off last week’s game night and spent the evening hauling boxes and furniture instead. It was kind of like looting a dungeon, except you don’t get to keep any of the loot.

I was also contacted last week by another friend who wanted to talk to me about some coaching. We had lunch yesterday and discussed her needs and goals. There is a lot I can do to help her achieve those and she hired me. This is another person whom I have gamed with over the years.

These events got me thinking about how much of a gateway gaming is into the other social circles in my life. In the last decade the group of people I’ve met through gaming has continually, rapidly expanded. A large number are folks I liked, but whom have simply remained “people I’ve enjoyed gaming with.” Many others have become friends. A few have become close friends.

Back before about the year 2000, this was not how I operated. The group of gamers I knew was small and fairly static. We gradually added about three new friends to our gaming group over a period of almost ten years, which was fine with me since I was making new acquaintances in other areas of my life (mostly at work). From a gaming perspective, I had a tight knit group who got along well. Why would I need to add more people to it?

Then I discovered ENWorld. I met people online. Then I started the NC Game Day and met some of them in person. That was followed by my starting to attend other regional game days and GenCon. Suddenly, I had so many people flowing into my circles it was a struggle to assimilate all of them.

This didn’t just change my social life but also that of my family and friends.. My wife now spends the majority of her vacation days going to various game days. Our daughter knows and games with many of the same people. My circle of close gamer buddies from “back in the day” have had the chance to meet some of the NC Game Day crowd. This year, my best friend, my wife, and my daughter are all attending GenCon for the first time.

The threads and connections that started with gaming run through nearly every facet of my life. I have two business partnerships currently underway with people whom I met through gaming. Most of my clients have been gamers or people recommended to me by friends who are gamers.

Those kinds of relationships run the other direction as well. When I have need of a service or product, I of course follow the marketing trend of buying from those I “know, like, and trust.” Gamers are vastly overrepresented in those categories from my perspective. My website was built by a gamer. My next website will be built by a gamer. I have two editors working for me. They’re both gamers.

Perhaps you’re thinking that I’m limiting myself by only putting energy into a single network. But it’s reached a critical mass where it is expanding on its own and feeding back more energy than I’m putting into it. That’s exactly the sort of structure I try to build into my life. It makes the notion that gamers are anti-social nerds fairly ludicrous.

My weekly gaming group is comprised of the best friends a guy could ask for. The kinds of friends who will help you move everything you own and maybe the occasional body. I’ve had those friends forever and wouldn’t trade them for anything. But I’ve also got tons of new friends, from all over the globe. I wouldn’t trade them either. They are increasingly connected to all aspects of my life and it’s awesome.

Who is in your gaming circles? Are they friends or people you only game with? Do they overlap into other circles in your life like business or family?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Who is in your gaming circles? Are they friends or people you only game with? Do they overlap into other circles in your life like business or family?

The great philosopher, Dave Chappele, once observed: if you smoke weed, at some point, you will have friends with whom you have nothing in common but smoking weed.

(But that's true of anything you do a lot of.*)

My gaming group consists of people I went to high-school with to people who joined the group as friends of friends. Some of these guys are friends, some are just guys I game with.

In one of my previous game groups, I'm pretty sure one guy was a racist. We still somehow managed to put that aside once a week for a few years.

* by that, I mean if you do X, you will eventually have friends with whom X is your only thing in common, not weed.

Janx

Hero
I'm still friends with people I've know since 2nd grade. We started gaming together, and have kept relationships up (often around gaming) for 30 years.

Gaming's not all we do, but it is certainly a glue to keeping the crew together (bear in mind, I have lived the last 17 years over 1500 miles away from them).

Most of my current friends are in my new gaming group.

So gaming is the glue in most cases, but it's more of the compatibility test. If you game, you are wierd enough to hang out with us.

My newest friends, I met through the jazz band I did a stint with. They don't specifically game, but they are gaming compatible. Like me, they're not into sports and the usual mainstream interests. Which is why we click pretty well.

I think the key element is a common interest or situation brings people together which set sup the opportunity for them to become friends. Gaming works. Doing a group hobby (jazz band) works. It breaks the ice.

I certainly don't expect to talk to or befriend anybody I am randomly standing next to in a crowd or line at the grocery store. The key element requires interaction with the other candidate person to raise their status to friend.

It hasn't been a gateway for my little anecdotal existence. I've always had a compartmentalization of friends due to a few diverse interests and the competing, silly, human tribalism that comes with those factions; jocks and nerds. There was a little bit of overlap between the two groups with the few athletes who would "come out of the closet" once another one would first. Its terribly amusing. I think many folks might be shocked at the robust percentage of tough-guy jocks who actually have nerdy little boys who want to play elf-games (and secretly do while "in the closet") buried (and closely guarded) deep in their psyche...but alas, the fiercely flailing male ego, entrenched in machismo athletic culture during their adolescent period, often holds sway. Due to that silly fragility, I always had to keep my mates segregated and just sort of live a weird outsider life in both circles.

Janx

Hero
It hasn't been a gateway for my little anecdotal existence. I've always had a compartmentalization of friends due to a few diverse interests and the competing, silly, human tribalism that comes with those factions; jocks and nerds.

Really?

While some folks may suffer from over-abundance of Jerkosterone, I've never met any guys who act as you describe.

As youth, we even had the HS quarterback playing D&D in class.

Really?

While some folks may suffer from over-abundance of Jerkosterone, I've never met any guys who act as you describe.

As youth, we even had the HS quarterback playing D&D in class.

Its not even so much "jerkosterone". Most/all of the guys I'm describing were my good friends and plenty are lifelong friends. Its just the silly xenophobic tribalistic/pop culture stigmas that play out in adolescence generally and in male social ritualism specifically. I've always straddled the line of nerd/jock so I was able to see the artillery from both sides of the trenches. The amusing thing about it was how much the nerds wanted to be the jocks (and participate in athletics and all that comes with it) and how much jocks wanted to be open nerds (and play elf games, collect comic books, etc) rather than closet ones.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
(. . .) except you don’t get to keep any of the loot.

And they bought that, eh? ;)

Not surprisingly, gaming is a huge part of my life (as well as a portion of my business life) and, as such, many of the folks I know and befriend are gamers. Though I hasten to add that I have several distinct circles of friends and acquaintances that have very little overlap. For instance, none of my family are gamers nor the extended friends and relatives that occupy that circle. I know of many gamers who have immediate family (spouses or siblings) who are gamers as well as whole families with several generations who are gamers.

Sadly, not for me. Few of my friends enjoy gaming. The groups I've had in the past either did drugs or turned their backs on me as i was not a well-to-do person. Eh. Such is life.

Jhaelen

First Post
I think, these days all of my friends are gamers. Some of them started out as friends, and others became friends after we started meeting regularly to game.

Remove ads

Remove ads