• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Is Permanency being changed in 3.5E?

Grog

First Post
As it stands now, it's one of the stupidest spells out there because it's dispellable. There's absolutely no way I'd ever spend XP to make a spell permanent if I was just going to lose it the next time I got hit with a dispel. Has there been any indication that Permanency will be altered at all?

Pax

Banned
Banned
It'd be a simpel fix; make the dispel only work as if each permanent spell effect were a magic item -- IOW, suppress their effects, rather than terminate the spell itself.

thundershot

Adventurer
Basically, in my campaign, I allow any spell with a set duration to become permanent. I'm sure there's a few exceptions, but they haven't come up yet, and they still have to research, so... It's fine, I guess.

Chris

lord_banus

First Post
Personally I think that permanency would be better served by a Meta-magic feat rather than a spell. It would fit better and not be a left over from older editions.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Savage Species, p. 60.

It looks like it will be harder to dispel on you, and you'll need higher levels for higher level spells (eight levels after the spell becomes available, not eight+spell level levels)

Remove ads