Is this going overboard?

Victim

First Post
Regarding the extra cost of intelligent weapons:

I don't think lots of intelligent items should have an extra cost. An intelligent item could be so freaking annoying as to get people to smash it. If its ego is high enough, it could control many fighters. Etc. An intelligent item should be more like a NPC ally than a bit of treasure, IMHO. Having a weapon that can heal you once per day isn't that big of deal when the weapon says to the dying fighter, "Sorry Steve, I'm not going to use that healing power you requested. I told you these giants were too strong and look what happens. I've seen more fights than you could possibly imagine. Unless I have much more influence, then I see no reason to help you now so latter you can get into a position to get both of us killed."
---------------------------------------------

Any kind of weapon could be good for a spell caster. However, it won't be SAME weapon as that prefered by a warrior. Instead of +3 keen, flaming, Holy weapons, a spell caster will prefer much different powers. There's no reason that a weapon couldn't grant an enhancement bonus to an ability or other caster powers.

For example, a wizard might like a Staff of Archmagery, which grants a +6 bonus to INT and casts the following spells once per day: Globe of invulnerablity, stoneskin, shield, and fireball, all at caster level 15. Addiitionally, the staff is covered with runes that allow it function as a spell book capable of holding 30 spells. When held, it grants the user True Seeing.

Tewligan

First Post
Sodalis said:
As for background magic items:
like I said, I have been playing for almost 2 years, and all i have on my barb was a +2 mithril chain shirt and a +2 waraxe. The rogue has a +4 gloves of dex and the sorc has a ring of protection +2.

That's quite an overnight jump in firepower. Did you play out someone selling or giving them the stuff, or did they just have it one day?
"Hey, Grak the Barbarian, what kind of magic do you have?"
"Oh, Grak not have much. Me just have this armor...this axe...heyyyy, Grak forgot about this...GRAK HAVE BIGGEST FREAKIN' SWORD YOU EVER SEE!!!"

(Sorry, it just makes me giggle like a schoolgirl to imagine that.)

hong

WotC's bitch
Akunin said:

What about the arcane types who have no real use for such a weapon, and who'd rather have items to boost stats, or magical bracers?

To answer this specific question, one of the campaigns I'm in has a feat called "Signature Item" or something like that. It lets you enchant a specific magic item that you designate on taking the feat. It's like the samurai's ancestral daisho except it isn't limited to swords. Rather than pay gold, there's an XP cost equal to 1/10th the base price, and the level limit on the base price is as for the samurai's daisho.

Sodalis

First Post
although I said "weapon" i didn't mean melee weapons only. I told them that it can be a magical anything (suit of armor for example) so yes- the sorc could have gottan a staff, or a hat that grants him two minor abilities an one major ability.

Last campaign, at the end of the last adventure, we killed two CR 15 red dragons. I could have reasoned that this was their hoard.

that story was quite funny actually:
for about 10 rounds the DM was tellingus hat there is a red figure circling the sky a couple hundred feet away. IO was buffing up before it came. During that time, it sent a bunch of giant rock golems at us (home brew) to soften us up. When it finally was coming towards us, the cleric readied a Destruction spell,a nd when it came, [beat SR/ failed save] and poof.

That was the big finale... a little anticlimactic- so the DM decided to send her husband after us...

The game just kinda ended after the dragons death. i could hve said that the party went up to her lair and found a giant hoard... or even that the kingdom specially crafted it for them for helping them win the war.

But i don't like to take imagination from the players. One of teh prereqs for the weapon was that they tell me how they got it.

Tewligan
that's not quite how it played out... but that is pretty darned funny. but basically you got the jist of it.

:D

Last edited:

Remove ads