Free [Jocher Symbolic Systems] "A one in a million chance at adventure" - unofficial Discworld TTRPG

itch-io-book cover.jpg

What? A fan-made tabletop roleplaying game created to capture the spirit and geist of the Discworld Universe. Use the Discworld book series as source materials when playing this game.

Get it here: https://jocher-symbolic-systems.itch.io/discworld-a-one-in-a-million-chance-at-adventure

By whom? It is a one-person project. I am Johan Eriksson, a game design lecturer at Uppsala University. I made this game a few years ago, and I released it as a creative commons resource. The game, and all its supplements, are completely free.

The system is inspired by (but not limited to): FATE. Mörk Borg. Mouse Guard. Tales from the Loop. Vampire the Masquerade. Dungeons and Dragons. Also the Discworld GURPS.

Said about the game:
Reddit user Tantavalist

"This is an excellent rules-light narrative system for comical hijinks. It's perfect for the Discworld, a far better fit than GURPS. I'm also thinking of it as a good ruleset to adapt for other lighter-hearted RPGs or settings; Cugel-level Dying Earth play, or switch it to sci-fi for The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Reddit user NotOutsideOrInside
"It's a blast of a game. I can't see it being used for very long-term campaigns, but it REALLY captures the vibe of Pratchett. I love the mechanic of coming up with your character AS YOU PLAY as well. It's pure genius."

Anonymous Reddit user:
"Getting into the main PDF now, and I have to say that it is absolutely beautiful and is even better than I could have imagined, much less put together. I know how much work goes into that. And I love the footnotes. This is stunning. <3"

Reddit user Diskordant77
"The 1 in a Million Roll is now joining me at any game I run. That's just genius. I'll have every character start with 1, and I'll award more through out a campaign. I'll call it Deus Ex Machina points or something. I also like the idea of meeting Death and being able to deal with him, if things go that way in my game I might steal that too."

Reddit user Son_of_Tarzan
"This discworld system looks amazing! Its so philosophically aligned."

Anonymous survey voice
"A one in a million chance at adventure is a lively take on roleplaying on the Discworld. It's free, it's lightweight, its writing is full of Pratchett-esque humor that had me laughing just reading through it. It gets the lighthearted, comedic tone of the source material and translates it into a system that is a breeze. Honestly, thank you so much for writing this. It's fantastically fun!"

Anonymous survey voice
"It really captures the SPIRIT of the discworld. The GURPS discworld books are accurate, but they don't really caputre (SIC) pratchett's whole jive. The disc is a serious place when you are there - it's only us outside of it who see it's absurdities."

Anonymous survey voice
"Because it's good, clearly written and captures much of the flavor better than the official RPG"

Remove ads