Judges Guild and the Wilderlands

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
That only works if a company is publicly traded. You can't forcibly buy a private company from somebody who doesn't want to sell it, any more than you can forcibly buy their car.
"Let me make you an offer you cannot refuse" if sweet persuasion -or- appeals to self-interest -or- a discussion with the accountant, do not work first.

Edit: typos

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
In the past, something likely this would have likely been swept under the carpet and I think it's a good sign that this is no longer the case. It's unfortunate, but a some of the people who had or continue to have an influence on our hobby, even if it's indirect, have done or said some terrible things. And it's not always easy to reconcile our love for something with the actions of those involved in its creation. I happen to enjoy the work of H.P. Lovecraft even though I cringe when reading some of his descriptions of people in his stories. I can reconcile this two was: He's dead and purchasing his work doesn't provide him with money. The past is a different country with strange customs. (Lovecraft's views on race were not radically outside the mainstream.) But there's nothing wrong with anyone who cannot or chooses not to read his stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"Let me make you an offer you cannot refuse" if sweet persuasion -or- appeals to self-interest -or- a discussion with the accountant, do not work first.
You’re suggesting asking the mafia to threaten him? Wowzers!

aramis erak

Legend
When is encouraging ANYONE to act illegally- even indirectly- ever a good idea?
That only works if a company is publicly traded. You can't forcibly buy a private company from somebody who doesn't want to sell it, any more than you can forcibly buy their car.
There are some ways to do so without it being part of a public company.

Buy their debt, leverage that.
Really bad idea removed.

In certain cases, the US copyright recovery act can be used to obtain rights to works sold.

None of them are as easy as forced buyout of a publicly traded joint-stock company... but they are legit legal (but potentially unethical) ways to coerce transfer of an IP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads