Juggernaut Push power

lost_shinigami

First Post
Hi everyone!

I was looking at the Ogre Juggernaut from DDI, since I am making a mini dungeon with ogres. I was just looking at it's powers and I'm not really sure how the Juggernaut Push power functions. It states:
Hit: The ogre pushes the target 1 square and knocks it prone. The ogre then shifts 1 square to the square the target vacated. The ogre can push the target an additional number of squares equal to the ogre's speed, shifting an equal number of squares and remaining adjacent to it. The target takes 1d8 damage for each additional square the ogre pushes it.

From my point of view, it says that I can push him 8 squares (his speed) and do 7d8 damage. I think this is a little bit extreme for an level 10 monster and I was wondering if I interpreted this power wrong.

Could it be that i need to roll an attack roll for each square I want to push him?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I don't live in an English speaking country! Thanks for the help!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No other attack rolls are necessary. It's an encounter power and it does less than twice the damage of its at-will. It doesn't seem out of line.

lost_shinigami

First Post
Yeah you're right in that aspect. I'm quite new to D&D and this is one of my first adventures I created myself, so I wanted to confirm this with knowledgeable people.

Thanks!

S'mon

Legend
From my point of view, it says that I can push him 8 squares (his speed) and do 7d8 damage. I think this is a little bit extreme for an level 10 monster and I was wondering if I interpreted this power wrong.

Yes, you are wrong - per the description he can push the target 9 squares (the initial one, plus 8 additional) and do 8d8 damage. :lol:

Edit: A Brute does +25% damage, single-target encounter powers usually do +50% damage, so +75% damage is normal for a brute single target encounter power. Elite brutes may do more, too - usually through a
multi-attack routine, or through extra damage conditional on a second attack roll if the first roll hits.
In a few cases like the owlbear they just straight-up do double damage; owlbears are extra nasty because of theit auto-hit bite vs grabbed targets.

Typical damage for a 10th level brute's single target encounter power would be 18x1.75 = 31.5.
8d8 averages 36 damage, double the standard 18 damage, so it's a bit higher than usual, but not out of line for an Elite. As the MV Ogre Juggernaut is a Standard monster it does seem a bit OTT though - you could reduce damage to 1d6 per square, making it 8d6 - average 28 damage.

Last edited:

lost_shinigami

First Post
Thank you for the explanation S'mon! This really clarifies it.

I think I'll change it the power to do 1d6 per additional square, since the party is only level 9. Thanks for the advice!

Remove ads