Kickstarter KICKSTARTER: The Great American Novel, A Roleplaying Game

greyauthor

Explorer
Hello all! Pleased to share my recently launched Kickstarter "The Great American Novel, A Roleplaying Game" -- its a character-driven storytelling engine for any number of settings.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greyauthor/the-great-american-novel-a-roleplaying-game/

Excerpt:

I am a novelist and publisher, my wife is a novelist and literature professor, and our family is surrounded by books. It is no surprise that I wanted to apply literary structure to roleplaying games, but before I created The Great American Novel framework, I never really had the means to do so.

There are storytelling games on the market that I absolutely love, such as Protocol or Fiasco and there are other games that use literary devices such as Ten Candles and Good Society, however I was seeking a framework that could work for any genre or setting, just as long as the point of the game was about characters and their motivations, not necessarily plot or action.

GAN was produced as a result of that exploration and uses some of the latest innovations in the independent gaming space including elements from Apocalypse World and Powered by the Apocalypse games, FATE, Ten Candles, the Story Pillar system from Home By Dark, derived from Fiasco. There are other inspirations in there too of which I'm probably not even cognizant.

The final result is a framework that applies literary structure to any setting. With minimal or no alterations it can be used to run anything from The Shining to The Avengers--any set-up at all that focuses on characters and their personal journeys.

At its heart though, it works best with its namesake, creating the experience of a "Great American Novel." The literary structure compels an experience that emulates diving into a good book and not resurfacing until you've felt all the feels.

Production Details

Interior artwork will be by Robert Hebert, ENnie-nominated for his work on The Happiest Apocalypse on Earth.
The Beta version of the game is already complete and currently undergoing a developmental edit by Christopher Sniezak at Encoded Designs and Misdirected Mark Productions, who has written and designed for Fate, Gumshoe, and Dungeons & Dragons and has worked on development for several titles including Hydro Hacker Operatives and recent successful Kickstarters Iron Edda and Streets of Avalon.
Once funded, the book will be line edited by Lauren McManamon, editor of the Gauntlet's Codex, The Veil: Cascade by Fraser Simons, the Uncanny Echo zineby Fraser Simons, and Good Society: A Jane Austen RPG by the Storybrewers and the upcoming Hack the Planet by Fraser Simons .
Gallant Knight Games will publish and distribute the game.
It will be black and white illustrated, approximately 100 pages.
There will be digital character sheets for online play, in addition to the digital formats of the book

Remove ads