Kickstarter [Kickstarter] Valor Tabletop System

Hello and welcome, folks. Before I get further into this, I'd just like to emphasize that I'm not the author of this system - my involvement in it consists of being the biggest single backer, and having run reruns of a couple of the demos of beta versions a few years back.

With that said, this is Valor, a tabletop roleplaying system that's been in development for... Around seven years now, I'd say. Suffice it to say, the system's complete and has received several test-drives, including being run at Sakuracon several times with different ridiculous but awesome scenarios.

The Kickstarter is to fund the finishing touches on the system's release, and is already 200% funded - and getting closer to the lead author being able to fund a small-press-release hardcover immediately.

Besides what's talked about on the Kickstarter page, I can offer my opinions of what the system is like from having played previous drafts... So I will.

The character creation is moderate-to-high flexibility - you use one stack of points to build your Stats, a second to build an array of Skills that are largely (though not solely!) used out of combat, and a third to design your combat Techniques, which are similar to D&D 4th Edition's powers in some ways (except a heck of a lot more flexible). The result, while pretty flexible in character creation, is actually surprisingly fast in actual play.

Pointedly, rather than being a 'pure' Universal System, it specifically is setting-agnostic, but uses several action anime tropes in its design, style, and artwork. Levels are split into "Seasons", which restrict some of the things you can buy (no teleport shenanigans at 1st level), and doing awesome things gives you Valor that can help your later awesome things work. A classic sword-and-board fighter, cowboy gunslinger, and Harry Dresden should all fit in and balance decently against one another, although there is some room for optimization of your designs.

Valor could use some more support to bring it up to a small-press release. (It could use a lot more so that the authors can afford to immediately get working on a Monster Manual, but that goal's more out there.) I'd appreciate more people supporting this, though I've no financial stake in the system.

Thank you for your time reading this.

(Mods: The prefix doesn't seem right, but it was the only one visible to me for some reason and it wouldn't let me post without it. If this could be fixed, that'd be cool.)

Remove ads