D&D 5E [Let's Read] Five Torches Deep

G

Guest 6801328

Why do you say it is incompatible with 5e?

Because the number of magic items you can attune to is a fairly significant thing, and giving that essentially for free to Warlocks, Sorcerers, and Paladins, and making everybody else choose between magic items and pouring points into Charisma, strikes me as weak design.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The characters in 5TD don't have the same spread of stats though, so those guys won't always have a super high CHA, and even if they do it may come very much at the expense of other stuff. 5TD doesn't really have dump stats. The ability of anyone to 'pour points into CHA' is really limited after character gen.

G

Guest 6801328

The characters in 5TD don't have the same spread of stats though, so those guys won't always have a super high CHA, and even if they do it may come very much at the expense of other stuff. 5TD doesn't really have dump stats. The ability of anyone to 'pour points into CHA' is really limited after character gen.

Oh, clarification: I mean I wouldn't import that rule into standard 5e.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Oh, clarification: I mean I wouldn't import that rule into standard 5e.
I gotcha. I agree, not unless you wanted to import the stat balance thing wholesale, which seems like waaaaay to much work. I do really like how they balanced the stats though.

GlassJaw

Hero
I was excited to check out 5TD because it's an OSR that uses 5E as its core. I'm generally not a fan of OSR clones because they are usually billed as old-school and streamlined but still use archaic and necessarily complex systems because they are nostalgic sacred cows.

But I digress...

But as others have said, 5TD feels incomplete or simply a set of house rules. I would certainly give it a try though, specifically because it is based on 5E. There's a lot of cool ideas too: I like the streamlined classes, equipment rules (especially supply and repair), and the monster creation rules.

It still feels like a lot of the work is going to be on the DM to fill in the blanks, but I guess that's one of the points of OSR gaming. Overall 5TD is intriguing but there's something missing I can't put my finger on.

Remove ads