Let's share our Spaceships!

DemonGyro

First Post
Even though the Spaceship Builder software is in Beta, it still does a great job at aiding with spaceship construction. Here is my first custom spaceship for an AL9 campaign setting. I'm considering upgrading the FTL on this ship to at least FTL 4 so that it doesn't take a year to travel its full operational range, or decreasing the operational range to something a little more in line with FTL 3. Also, I can't seem to find how to calculate fuel usage from efficiency at sub-luminal speeds. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

Let's see your ships!​

Gren Class I Courier MK I
Gren_alt_Mk1.png
Weight 3,847 tons; Cargo Units 100 (29 available; capacity 1450 tons)
Hull Class I (INIT 0)
Traits Fast (can go FTL 3), Silent-running (cannot be found with sensors unless actively searched for)
Crew 3 (cost 600cr/m); Troops 0; Passengers 12 (12 standard, 0 luxury)
Command & Control Systems
Computers 1x Highwatch SM-1 Command Computer (CPU cycles: 8; max FTL: 2; checks: +0d6)
Sensors Chen-Collins SS-2 (range 4; check +0d6)
Engine & Propulsion Data
Sub-luminal 1x Newline-Silverwide Systems SL-2 Liquid Fuel Rocket (power: 13; SPEED: 12.0; fuel efficiency: 0.5) (includes -1 SPEED from Landing Gear)
FTL 1x Shuvinaaljis Warp Technologies FWA-2 Warp Engine (power: 16; FTL: 2.0; fuel efficiency: 1)
Operational Range 8.5 parsecs (includes Fuel Bay Alteration)
Defensive Data
Superstructure 5 DEFENSE 20 ELECTRONIC DEFENSE 2
Shields 1x Parsec Group SSC-2 Civilan Deflector Screen (power 4; SOAK 4)
Facilities
Luxury 117% (Adequate: -)
Facilities Cabin, Hotbunk (1), Cabin, Double (6), Escape Pod (15),
General Systems
Fueling Fuel Bay Alteration (7.5 Fuel),
Electronic Warfare 1x Carbanti Signal-Augmented Sensor Jammer,
Other Landing Gear
Market Value 64.65 MCr
Also known as a "Hopper" or "Frog". This ship is intended to shuttle people and small portions of cargo between systems. This vessel is popular because it is small, capable of jumping 8 parsecs in a single jump (though it is a year travel), has great sub-light speed for quick getaways, reinforced superstructure, deflector shields, and sensor jamming suite.

Not the most luxurious ship, it does come equipped with enough bunks for the crew and 12 passengers, as well as escape pods for every occupant in the case that the Frog gets caught in a net, however unlikely.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's awesome! You're right that it's pretty slow, though - good for inner-system shuttling, but I wouldn't want to travel between star systems with it. No weaponry I see!

I like that little graphic - did you say you found an online site which let you design those?

Subluminal efficiency works the same way as FTL efficiency. 1 AU at SUB-L uses the same fuel as 1 parsec at FTL (both modified by their respective efficiencies).

DemonGyro

First Post
That's awesome! You're right that it's pretty slow, though - good for inner-system shuttling, but I wouldn't want to travel between star systems with it. No weaponry I see!

I like that little graphic - did you say you found an online site which let you design those?

Subluminal efficiency works the same way as FTL efficiency. 1 AU at SUB-L uses the same fuel as 1 parsec at FTL (both modified by their respective efficiencies).

Yeah, I found a couple Starship Construction Kits on http://opengameart.org/ by Skorpio. Its all PSD files. I've made quite a few small Class I-III crafts using it, as well as a couple larger ships. I'll see if I have time tonight to make a couple more ships in the builder.

I think I remember reading that now about SUB-L. The extra fuel does make sense then for intra-planetary travel, especially for moving between the inner and outer parts of a system. Might want drop the FTL altogether and upgrade to a more efficient intra-system engine (4.25 AU is still pretty far though) for a variant on this ship.

As for no weapons, you don't really need them when you are faster at SUB-L than most other ships. Worst case you have some really good shields, a sensor scrambler, and can "hop" into FTL. Pacifism at its finest right here :p

DemonGyro

First Post
This is my latest ship design.

The Longhaul Freighter is capable of transporting 12k tons of cargo across multiple star systems quickly and safely. With two Newdyne Concepts FTL engines, it is capable of reaching an FTL speed of 10.0, able to fly its full operating distance of 60 parsecs in a little over a month. Advanced computers and a high-power civilian shield tech allow it to absorb small weapons fire and avoid larger ship fire. The computers are also electronically reinforced, so they suffer less from electronic warfare. In case it finds itself in a bit of trouble, it has a high sub-luminal speed and two short-range guns to fight its way out of trouble.

Longhaul_alt_Mk1.png
Longhaul
Class IV Freighter
Weight:33,745 tons
Cargo Units:246.8 available, capacity 12,340 tons
Hull:Class IV (INIT 0)
Traits:Hauler
Fuel:64
Crew:12 (cost 240cr/m); Troops 0; Passengers 0
Command & Control Systems
Computers:1x Chemerkin-Liang Products LM-2H
(CPU cycles: 40; max FTL: 10; checks: +1d6)
(SOAK: +2, Defense: +1; max range inc: 18; Crew: -6%)
Power Plants:-
Sensors:Lunar Works LS-2H
(range: 14; checks: +1d6)
(Defense: +1; max range inc: 18)
Engine & Propulsion Data
Sub-luminal:2x DeltaLight products LI-1 ion engine
(power: 52; SPEED: 13.0; fuel efficiency: 1.4)
FTL:2x Newdyne Concepts LA-1 antimatter engine
(power: 40; FTL: 10.0; fuel efficiency: 1.0)
Operational Range:64 parsecs; 89.6 AU
Defensive Data
Superstructure:12

DEFENSE 19
ELECTRONIC DEFENSE 20
Armor:-
Shields:1x Liu Maltech LSC-1 civilian deflector screens
(Power: 27; SOAK 6)
Point Defenses:-
Weapons Data2x Microtech Alliance LBP-1 Stingmaker dual pulse blaster
(one front, one rear)
(range 3; damage 4d6 heat; attack +0d6)