• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Listen and Spot Checks

doktorstick

First Post
As rule of thumb, do the PCs automatically "Take 10" when the DM needs a Listen or Spot check? The corollary would be that they only roll dice when actively "listening" or "spotting" (full-round action).

Imagine the PCs are walking through town, casually, not expecting anyone to be sneaking up on them. Would it be a roll or a "take 10"?

Imagine the PCs are walking through a dungeon and are probably more alert. Would it be a roll or a "take 10"?

I have always called for a roll in both cases, but I have seen it done with the "take 10" approach.

Cheers,
/ds

Weeble

First Post
take 10 is a valuable time saver also. in this case it would not spoil an event that was coming up that, say, the players shouldn't know about, while having the Players roll or rolling yourself can tip the players off.

James McMurray

First Post
I have the players roll. But to avoid tipping them off, I have a sheet of pre-rolled results, and just cross them off as I need them. Actually, only one column of rolls was actually rolled, the rest were generated by Excel's random number generator.

Caliber

Explorer
Every now and then (and especially if attention is starting to wander) I will either roll some dice myself or have all the other players make Spot or Listen checks. Once you really get into the habit, they will no longer be suspicious when the dice come out (or, they will be, but they won't know when its real and when its just a set up.)

Romotre

First Post
I write down each of the PC's listen and spot before hand. If I need some I roll them behind the screen. If someone hears/sees something, I'll inform that character. Otherwise we keep going on. I sometime makes rolls at random times to throw them off, and its oten for other random things.

Remove ads