D&D 5E Looking for Short Adventure Recommendations

Elodan

Adventurer
Any particular setting, theme, mood you're interested in?

Hadn't given it a lot of thought. Kind of browsing at the moment.

Since it'd be the first time I've DMed in a while, I'd prefer something relatively straightforward to run.

I'd most likely port the adventure to the Realms or Greyhawk (we do like the classics). The group isn't big on horror or deep political intrigue. Maybe something that can be the start of a smallish campaign. This is assuming both they and I enjoy the experience.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I love the two intro box sets, but if you are looking for PDFs, I think M.T. Black does a great job on DMSGUILD.

Check humble bundle, Frog God Games often has one there with lots of adventures.

Any of the "modules" by Kobold Press are worth checking out for sure.

I really like Grendleroot by Sly Flourish.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Since it'd be the first time I've DMed in a while, I'd prefer something relatively straightforward to run.
If you want something that's laid out in a way to make it super-simple to run, I highly recommend checking out the adventures from Dungeons on Demand. This one is an example that I've played, but as far as I know, they're all laid out in similar fashion:

The adventures have super-clear formatting, with easy-to-spot symbols marking different kinds of encounters (so skimming for the one thing you're looking for is a breeze). Important elements of each location are clearly labeled, and details for traps, etc., are given right on the page where the encounter appears and not buried elsewhere in the text. I really like their design and think it's hard to beat for the pick-up-and-go aspect. Dungeons on Demand has a ton of adventures for every level too, so I'm sure you can find something that suits your group.

(I'm not affiliated with them, I promise! I just really like the design of their publications.)

GuyBoy

Hero
At the risk of stating the obvious, Dungeon magazine had hundreds of excellent adventures over the years, and not too hard to convert to 5e.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Looking for some recommendations for shorter adventures, similar in size and scope to 1E modules. Particularly looking for low level adventures as I’m thinking of giving our current DM a short break and run something for a session or three (first time running in a long time).

We’ve already gone through most of the WotC adventure compilation books. Adventure League adventures are out as a couple of players are heavily involved in it.

Thanks.

The Wildemount book has 4 short adventures, all start at level 1. They seem fairly good.

PiraTechnics

First Post
Looking for some recommendations for shorter adventures, similar in size and scope to 1E modules. Particularly looking for low level adventures as I’m thinking of giving our current DM a short break and run something for a session or three (first time running in a long time).

We’ve already gone through most of the WotC adventure compilation books. Adventure League adventures are out as a couple of players are heavily involved in it.

Thanks.
Shameless self-plug, but the first 5e adventure Module I've written is intended to be a Level 1-4 intro. It's a setting-neutral mystery horror adventure set in a small forest town. You can check the preview on DM's Guild here: The Webs of Shadowpine

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
"The Rat Catchers" is a two part adventure designed as an introduction to Zakhara but is easily placed anywhere, and Part 1 is super straightforward. It's designed such that Part 1 is standalone, with Part 2 expanding on the events for those who want to continue with it.

The adventure is included in Campaign Guide: Zakhara - Adventures in the Land of Fate, but it's available separately as well.
Dungeon Masters Guild

Remove ads