Looking for Steven M. Kurtz re Thiondar's Legacy (Dungeon 30)

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Dear friends,

Not sure whether this is the way to do it - forum rules and all that - but I am looking for Steven M. Kurtz, who seems to have worked at/for TSR in the early 1990s on various source books for the Al-Qadim setting and who also was the author of Thiondar's Legacy and the co-author of A Rose for Talakara, both in Dungeon Magazine.

For some time, I have been working on what is slowly becoming The Book of Books, a collection of books, librams, grimoires and what have you for AD&D 2E, a project that began when a party with one of my characters in it ended up in the libraries of Thiondar, King of the Ch'thar (Thiondar's Legacy, Dungeon Magazine 30) and the DM informed the players that he would leave it to them to come up with the titles of the many, many books contained it.

Well, since a man's gotta what a man's gotta do, two of these players set about doing just that and, of course, the whole thing escalated quickly. I have enclosed some examples of our work in the attachment.

Readers will notice that we have had to invent various words and names in the supposed languages of Thiondar's world, which was achieved by playing around with some of the names and words as found in Thiondar's Legacy.
However, not being happy with many of them ("Ch'thon", especially, seems a bit strong) and with still much work ahead, I hereby issue this call for help in finding Steven Kurtz, in the hopes that he can provide us with some additional details on Thiondar's world, most notably the name of the campaign world and perhaps a rough indication of its history - and, of course, to see whether he has anything to say about the books I have included.

I have tried to find Steven on ye interwebs but couldn't find any valid leads.

I would be grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

ilgatto

P.S.: Please note that I am not a native speaker and that the whole thing is a work in progress, which may help to explain at least some of the mistakes or worse that one may find in the attachment.

Attachments

• ThiondarBooks.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 168

Devren

First Post
Dear friends,

Not sure whether this is the way to do it - forum rules and all that - but I am looking for Steven M. Kurtz, who seems to have worked at/for TSR in the early 1990s on various source books for the Al-Qadim setting and who also was the author of Thiondar's Legacy and the co-author of A Rose for Talakara, both in Dungeon Magazine.

For some time, I have been working on what is slowly becoming The Book of Books, a collection of books, librams, grimoires and what have you for AD&D 2E, a project that began when a party with one of my characters in it ended up in the libraries of Thiondar, King of the Ch'thar (Thiondar's Legacy, Dungeon Magazine 30) and the DM informed the players that he would leave it to them to come up with the titles of the many, many books contained it.

Well, since a man's gotta what a man's gotta do, two of these players set about doing just that and, of course, the whole thing escalated quickly. I have enclosed some examples of our work in the attachment.

Readers will notice that we have had to invent various words and names in the supposed languages of Thiondar's world, which was achieved by playing around with some of the names and words as found in Thiondar's Legacy.
However, not being happy with many of them ("Ch'thon", especially, seems a bit strong) and with still much work ahead, I hereby issue this call for help in finding Steven Kurtz, in the hopes that he can provide us with some additional details on Thiondar's world, most notably the name of the campaign world and perhaps a rough indication of its history - and, of course, to see whether he has anything to say about the books I have included.

I have tried to find Steven on ye interwebs but couldn't find any valid leads.

I would be grateful to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

ilgatto

P.S.: Please note that I am not a native speaker and that the whole thing is a work in progress, which may help to explain at least some of the mistakes or worse that one may find in the attachment.
Hi Ilgatto

Did you have any luck finding Steven Kurtz?

I ran this adventure years ago for my 2nd Ed players and they loved it. I am currently converting it to 5th Ed for my current group and will probably want to share it with this generation of gamer's. Ideally, I would like Steven's blessing, so I too have been trying to find a way to get in touch with him.

Any response that you can provide will be appreciated!

Cheers

Devren

Remove ads