Lowlife 2090?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
How's Lowlife 2090 by Pickpocket Press? I really want to play Shadowrun but, by all accounts, the newest edition (Sixth World) is edited very, very, poorly in terms of errata and content (e.g. introducing discussion of mechanics before defining them). Is Lowlife 2090 a good substitute?

UndeadPriest94

Villager
In my experience, it's simpler to handle, but I wouldn't say that it's a proper substitute. The "rules-lite" nature of it comes off less of "GM flexibility" and more of "filled with gaps that the DM has to fill in." For example, when buying ammunition is based on "per-full-reload" (for now, ignoring the ridiculousness of a 5 rounds of a pocket pistol costs the same as 42 rounds of a high-powered assault rifle), but fails to explain how one buys ammunition for a weapon with an ammo capacity of "belt." There's also weapons that require the use of a tripod to use but don't go into buying or deploying a tripod.

The book is also littered with oversights and poor implications, like how the Sporting Rifle and Sniper Rifle weapon proficiency categories consist only of one gun each and don't simply combine the categories, or how imbuements feel like they'd work better as a magical substitute for cybernetics than as class abilities for a class that has to pay money to unlock them, or how a character without proficiency in a certain weapon group could get around the penalties of non-proficiency if they use the weapon for full-auto fire.

To me, the game gives me Shadowrun vibes (and not the good kind), as it has oversights and inconsistencies that underpaid freelancers who don't communicate with each other would make. Oh, and it has no errata of any kind, so yeah, it has some Shadowrun vibes. And it's sad as I've chatted with one of the devs and he seems to be a pretty nice guy. Overall, though, it's nowhere near the raving reviews that some game critics give it. It's not awful but I'd honestly suggest GeneFunk 2090 and using the Fantasy Cyberpunk variant setting option. It's has a more complete-feeling to it, and that's a major thing I want out of a good TTRPG.

Voadam

Legend
I grabbed it when it was the deal of the day but have not cracked it open yet.

For those not aware of it, Lowlife 2090 looks like an OSR/5e rules Shadowrun type genre game with quick character generation and lethal combat.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In my experience, it's simpler to handle, but I wouldn't say that it's a proper substitute. The "rules-lite" nature of it comes off less of "GM flexibility" and more of "filled with gaps that the DM has to fill in." For example, when buying ammunition is based on "per-full-reload" (for now, ignoring the ridiculousness of a 5 rounds of a pocket pistol costs the same as 42 rounds of a high-powered assault rifle), but fails to explain how one buys ammunition for a weapon with an ammo capacity of "belt." There's also weapons that require the use of a tripod to use but don't go into buying or deploying a tripod.

The book is also littered with oversights and poor implications, like how the Sporting Rifle and Sniper Rifle weapon proficiency categories consist only of one gun each and don't simply combine the categories, or how imbuements feel like they'd work better as a magical substitute for cybernetics than as class abilities for a class that has to pay money to unlock them, or how a character without proficiency in a certain weapon group could get around the penalties of non-proficiency if they use the weapon for full-auto fire.

To me, the game gives me Shadowrun vibes (and not the good kind), as it has oversights and inconsistencies that underpaid freelancers who don't communicate with each other would make. Oh, and it has no errata of any kind, so yeah, it has some Shadowrun vibes. And it's sad as I've chatted with one of the devs and he seems to be a pretty nice guy. Overall, though, it's nowhere near the raving reviews that some game critics give it. It's not awful but I'd honestly suggest GeneFunk 2090 and using the Fantasy Cyberpunk variant setting option. It's has a more complete-feeling to it, and that's a major thing I want out of a good TTRPG.

Well, dang. That's not what I wanted to hear, but I'm not too surprised. The company's first edition of Low Fantasy suffered from many similar issues (I haven't followed up on the new edition). I was hoping they had improved since then, but it doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:

UndeadPriest94

Villager
Like I said, it's not awful. My group is using it and we're invested enough to keep playing; helped that we threw out Mendoza City and created our own setting that's more interesting and personal. However, we do keep running into moments where we're frustrated with how the game works or how it's written. Same mentality we had with Shadowrun, but we have the benefit that we liked the setting of Shadowrun as it is and such we didn't need to change it. It is inspiring me to translate Shadowrun's setting into D&D 5e and getting decently far into it (helps that GeneFunk 2090 has a fair amount of cyberpunk I can pull from).

Remove ads