D&D 5E Magic Jar: is it a pc spell?(update 2, the continuing saga - how it's working for my character)

Yeah the body thing is neat because my character has been given the body of a child (via a wish gone wrong at “wishing to be young again.). So, taking a new body would be fine by him. EXCEPT: his master told him never to use necromancy to prolong his life. So magic jar is skirting a line. It doesn’t officially extend your life but it IS necromancy. Not that I’ve prohibited myself from using necromancy but he feels there are other methods to do things. He’s more of a snob against necromancy than having a moral reason to avoid it.

but all that said, I’ve always wanted to try the spell and this is my opportunity. I have it in a book so I can scribe it. I’ll give it a go. If I don’t like it, I can always stop using it.

more ideas are welcome, though!!

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
my idea is this: Summon my Leomands Secret Chest, crawl in it so I have full cover then go and possess one of the enemies. (I’m small enough to fit in the chest. )
If you send the chest to the ethereal plane and die in your stolen body, your original body is more than 100 feet away, so you are real dead.

If you send the chest to the ethereal plane and die in your stolen body, your original body is more than 100 feet away, so you are real dead.
No I wouldn’t send it to the eatheral. But being in a closed chest still offers full cover so I can’t be targeted. AoEs and stuff can destroy the chest though so I’ll have to be careful where I summon it. It’s 5k gp so I can’t afford a new one

Ixal

Hero
Yeah the body thing is neat because my character has been given the body of a child (via a wish gone wrong at “wishing to be young again.). So, taking a new body would be fine by him. EXCEPT: his master told him never to use necromancy to prolong his life. So magic jar is skirting a line. It doesn’t officially extend your life but it IS necromancy. Not that I’ve prohibited myself from using necromancy but he feels there are other methods to do things. He’s more of a snob against necromancy than having a moral reason to avoid it.

but all that said, I’ve always wanted to try the spell and this is my opportunity. I have it in a book so I can scribe it. I’ll give it a go. If I don’t like it, I can always stop using it.

more ideas are welcome, though!!
But if he has the body of a child would a body switch not actually shorten his life?
Loop hole!

So, to clarify, if I have the gem on my person (in my pouch) and I get hit with a dispel magic (maybe I'm hasted or or Held or something), does the gem also get dispelled?

• Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends.
Lets say they choose 'a creature'. Every spell on that creature, 3rd or below gets dispelled an every spell above 3rd gets a spellcasting check and they get dispelled too. Does the gem count as 'a spell on the creature' or do you need to target the gem?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So, to clarify, if I have the gem on my person (in my pouch) and I get hit with a dispel magic (maybe I'm hasted or or Held or something), does the gem also get dispelled?

• Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends.
Lets say they choose 'a creature'. Every spell on that creature, 3rd or below gets dispelled an every spell above 3rd gets a spellcasting check and they get dispelled too. Does the gem count as 'a spell on the creature' or do you need to target the gem?

LOL, my answer is the same.

Since the range of the spell is listed as "self" (and duration is until dispelled) then yes IMO dispel magic would potentially work.

LOL, my answer is the same.

Since the range of the spell is listed as "self" (and duration is until dispelled) then yes IMO dispel magic would potentially work.
So, I have contingency for 'if I am hit with a spell that impact me negatively, cast dispel magic'

you are saying that would dispel the the magic jar.

So, I should be more specific in my contingency: "dispel the offending spell" so it targets the enemy spell instead of all spells cast on me.

But wait. That leads to a weird situation. That ruling suggests that if you cast Dispel Magic on an enemy, you will, unwittingly, dispel magic jar and kill them instantly if their body is more than 100 feet away. That doesn't seem in keeping with the spirit of the spell.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So, I have contingency for 'if I am hit with a spell that impact me negatively, cast dispel magic'

you are saying that would dispel the the magic jar.

So, I should be more specific in my contingency: "dispel the offending spell" so it targets the enemy spell instead of all spells cast on me.

Yes,

Though would that work? Not sure you can precision target dispel magic to one spell?

Though it does say "or magical effect..." So if you word the contingency to target the offending magical effect as opposed to the person, that should fly.

Remove ads