D&D 5E Making the Wizard's Minor Illusion Meaningful

ren1999

First Post
I was bored with the wizard's minor illusion spell so I made it really powerful.

The wizard as his chosen reaction can cast minor illusion on a foe that is attacking him. If the foe fails its wisdom roll versus the wizard's spell DC of 15, then the attacker wastes an attack on an illusionary double of the wizard. The illusion disappears after being attacked.

The wizard can cast this reaction spell versus only one attacker as his 1 reaction between his turns endlessly trough out the encounter.

It's fun and it isn't too powerful.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
It might make a nice signature spell for an Illusionist.
I would avoid an at-will spell with a saving throw just to speed things along.
I don't like spells that force the enemy to do something, myself, but I think as a daily it could make an illusory combatant who appears to protect the Wizard - if the attacker fails to save they suffer disadvantage on the attack against the Wizard, or they can just attack the illusion directly for a save, or one hit kills. The illusion would last until directly struck or disbelieved by all.

Minor illusion IS really powerful, as it mimics two of the most potent level 0 spells: dancing lights and ghost sound.

Roleplaying and combat applications are endless.

I personally allow int saves to recognise such indirect applications of illusions as fakes.

Remove ads