Malware advertisements

Quartz

Hero
Just so you're aware, I've been getting malware advertisements just now - I click on a thread and sometimes I get an advert saying my browser or media player is out of date.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just here, or on other sites, too? I haven't seen anything like that, so it's possible it might be something on your end.

Richards

Legend
I've experienced the same thing, but only on some threads, not all. My son's conjectured it might depend upon what advertisement happens to be playing when I click upon any particular thread.

So far, this only happens to me on EN World.

Johnathan

Quartz

Hero
Just here, or on other sites, too? I haven't seen anything like that, so it's possible it might be something on your end.

I've seen other malware sporadically on other sites (e.g. Questionable Content) but today is the first time I've seen it here. Scans have picked up nothing my end, and it's rare here. I'm guessing that it's somewhere down the chain of your ad provider.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The ad provider is Google, I believe. Morrus doesn't have much control, other than to submit a request to block an ad, and that only when he knows where the ad lands. So, someone has to be brave and click on the thing to tell where it goes.

Morrus in the FAQ Thread said:
There's a problem with an ad on the site

We use Google ads. This means that the ads aren't controlled or selected by us; Google personalizes and serves them to you based on your browsing history and such. This means that different people see different ads; the ad that you saw may not have been seen by anyone else.

We can ask Google to block certain ads. To do this, we MUST have the URL that the ad clicks through to. A description of the ad is no help - it's likely we've never seen it and never will. So if you need to report an ad, please ensure that you post the exact URL that the ad clicks through to. We can then submit a blocking request.

If you're curious about why Google is showing that particular ad to you - check your browsing history. Bear in mind that, therefore, when you tell us all about an ad that you're seeing, you're actually telling us something about yourself and your browsing habits - so sometimes you might not want to say it publicly.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-permissions-errors-search-ads)#ixzz3HwYqfw22

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have gotten malware advetrts here and legostar galactica, which probably uses google ads too.

Remove ads