Master of Magic combined with D&D?!?

shadowthorn

First Post
Anyone ever play the Master of Magic computer game? Just like Master of Orion, except in a fantasy setting, with spells replacing technology. Ever since I read the Realms Management article in the latest Dragon (#293, I think), I've been interested in using some of these elements in a custom campaign setting. I find the Dragon article system to be lacking, however, in detail and execution.

What I'm looking for, then, is a Master of Magic-like system of managing population, terrain types, resources, and buildings. A "turn" would last a month or three, perhaps, and each "turn" would allow the ruler of each realm to utilize their resources, construct new buildings, attack other realms, etc. So, while the PCs are out doing there thing, the DM is running the turns for the various realms, creating an ever-changing, dynamic campaign environment that uses a relatively simple system to function.

I realize I'll probably have to develop this integrated system myself, but I thought I'd ask if anybody else uses anything along these lines. Perhaps some other Master of Magic gamers have some suggestions for me?

Anyway, if you have ideas/feedback/criticism/questions/mad shrieks of laughter/whatever to offer, I'm listening.

alaric

First Post
If you haven't looked into it already then i think you should really try to take a look at the 2E Birthright game. It was quite popular at the time, and there still a relatively large web fan base for it (3E conversions and all IIRC). I never really got into it, but it sounds kinda like what you would want. It's at a higher level of abstraction that a MoM type game, but none the less you could glean some info from it.

Remove ads