• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MCDMs Flee Mortals now on DnDBeyond

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Print vs Digital sales is a very good question... Pre-covid I'd have considered this but nowadays.. I'm not so sure that print still moves faster than digital.
I think you'll gain that perspective depending on where you are - some places were just not "effected by Covid" as others were. Now, I'm not talking about what the actual illness did to the actual population (nor how seriously or not they took it) - all that is a totally different story.

I'm talking about how much they CHANGED vs how much they WAITED (for it to be "over") and went right back to doing things the way they did them before.

The world is overall changed, of course.

Also - regardless of Covid - digital is slowly on the rise. I'm not arguing against that fact. My point is only that there are a lot of people (and this group often grows as fast as it shrinks, or nearly so) that just wants their books in print.

It's not luddites either! There are many people that spend all day on computers and don't want to then spend their off-time on a screen as well. There is also a big push to keep our kids off of screens as often as possible (the science says that it's ruining their growing brains). There is all likelihood that there will be a growing backlash against digital in the near future.

As is usual in the real world - these things grow in some areas, shrink in others, explode in some, and burst in others - and we wind up... somewhere.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I think you'll gain that perspective depending on where you are - some places were just not "effected by Covid" as others were. Now, I'm not talking about what the actual illness did to the actual population (nor how seriously or not they took it) - all that is a totally different story.

I'm talking about how much they CHANGED vs how much they WAITED (for it to be "over") and went right back to doing things the way they did them before.

The world is overall changed, of course.

Also - regardless of Covid - digital is slowly on the rise. I'm not arguing against that fact. My point is only that there are a lot of people (and this group often grows as fast as it shrinks, or nearly so) that just wants their books in print.

It's not luddites either! There are many people that spend all day on computers and don't want to then spend their off-time on a screen as well. There is also a big push to keep our kids off of screens as often as possible (the science says that it's ruining their growing brains). There is all likelihood that there will be a growing backlash against digital in the near future.

As is usual in the real world - these things grow in some areas, shrink in others, explode in some, and burst in others - and we wind up... somewhere.
I guess my experience is all I have to go off of- players get the digital/PDFs of physical books that they buy.. but they'll also get digital/PDFs of books they don't buy the physical versions of 🤷‍♂️

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I guess my experience is all I have to go off of- players get the digital/PDFs of physical books that they buy.. but they'll also get digital/PDFs of books they don't buy the physical versions of 🤷‍♂️
Sure, yeah - every combination exists.

One thing that I've noticed, though - everyone who uses D&D Beyond at the table for their character sheet TAKES FOREVER to take their turn. I don't think the layout of a DDB character is very good or very intuitive. There seems to be a lot of screen flipping - "where is my" whatever going on. OTOH, having Beyond open somewhere to check the exact wording of a spell or feature (using the search engine) when there's a question? That's a LOT faster than flipping through books.

Of course, the ideal, IMO, is a good print version of your character that actually says what all your features DO. But that takes work. A lot of work.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Sure, yeah - every combination exists.

One thing that I've noticed, though - everyone who uses D&D Beyond at the table for their character sheet TAKES FOREVER to take their turn. I don't think the layout of a DDB character is very good or very intuitive.
I think it's because they don't learn their character as well on DDB as they would by making it on paper. But that doesn't stop them from only buying it on DDB 😅

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
There's an article explaining creature roles on D&D Beyond now. I wonder what the reception will be to this awesome "new" concept?
Well replies are pretty positive. One sarcastic.
1716261346919.png

Remove ads