Medieval Italian Longsword Technique

GreyLord

Legend
Just stumbled across this-

Thought I'd share. Pretty fascinating stuff, although perhaps not as heroic as I might have in my mind. It's a recreation of certain techniques as provided in a manual from 1404 (the Fior di Battaglia) that had illustrated techniques for fighting with a longsword.

Cool cool.

Pretty good stuff.

LARP and Creative Anachronisms sometimes drives me a little crazy because of what they try to portray as fact is actually many times just their own fantasy.

It is true that for novices, fighting like this may not have gone as quickly, but for those who were masters of the art, it could be that quick or close to it.

A LOT of posturing at first, while they evaluate each other, but after that it could be over in seconds.

I also like that it shows how dirty it could get. Fighting was not nice and clean as people watch it in movies, it got very dirty in many ways. Kicking someone when they were down to ensure they would not get back up was absolutely done. Grabbing someone else's weapon or grappling was also effective.

If it was on a battlefield and you were down to using a sword, it was time to get dirty.

In duels, it was probably not as acceptable, but when desperation hits...

Remove ads