Meld into Stone spell questions

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have a question about the parameters of the spell Meld into Stone. Here is the spell from the SRD:

Meld into Stone
Transmutation
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: The character
Duration: 10 minutes/level

Meld into stone enables the character to meld the character's body and possessions into a single block of stone. The stone must be large enough to accommodate the character's body in all three dimensions. When the casting is complete, the character and not more than 100 pounds of nonliving gear merge with the stone. If either condition is violated, the spell fails and is wasted.

While in the stone, the character remains in contact with the face of the stone through which the character melded. The character remains aware of the passage of time and can cast spells on him or herself while hiding in the stone. Nothing that goes on outside the stone can be seen, but the character can still hear what happens around the character. Minor physical damage to the stone does not harm the character, but its partial destruction to the extent that the character no longer fits within it expels the character and deals the character 5d6 points of damage. The stone’s complete destruction expels the character and slays the character instantly unless the character succeeds at a Fortitude save (DC 18).

At any time before the duration expires, the character can step out of the stone through the surface that the character entered. If the spell’s duration runs out or the effect is dispelled before the character voluntarily exits the stone, the character is violently expelled and takes 5d6 points of damage.

The following spells harm the character if cast upon the stone that the character is occupying: Stone to flesh expels the character and deals the character 5d6 points of damage. Stone shape deals the character 3d6 points of damage but does not expel the character. Transmute rock to mud expels the character and then slays the character instantly unless the character succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 18), in which case the character is merely expelled. Passwall expels the character without damage.

The question relates to the portion above that is in bold and italics: The character...can cast spells on him or herself while hiding in the stone."

What else can you do while in the stone? Can you use a potion? Can you cast a spell that allows you to target the square you are occupying, instead of yourself? Can you move further along the stone, if the size of the stone would permit such movement? Can you read a scroll? Since you can hear things going on outside the stone, can they hear you? In other words, can you scream for help and possibly be heard by your allies?

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
One of the next BBEG i'll be using will probably be casting Meld into Stone... but to hide from the PC's..

For me, the description is clear: the caster can cast spells (and spells only) on himself (and himself only), ie cure and buff spells.

He can't communicate with the outside world, but still hears what's going on normally, but only through the face of the stone he melded into.

Its basically a "get out of harm's way and heal yourself up again" kinda spell, IMO.

Maitre D

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My thinking is that you can use potions while in the stone. The spell description allows for somatic hand gestures to cast a spell, so you can move your hands. It allows for material componants and a focus, so you can manipulate objects on you. And it allows for verbal componants, so you can open your moth and breath and speak. To me, that all adds up to being able to grab a potion on you and consume it.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I'd say no potions in the stone. Basically, you are occupying the same space as the stone. So yes, you could pull out a potion and bring it to your lips, but the liquid would be prevented from entering your mouth by the stone that occupies the same space.

killsamurai

First Post
Having been melded into stone a few times myself, you are free to move around, scream and yell, but the sound only echoes and everything is stuck on your body as if welded fast. Not even a button can be undone or a crease folded flat.

Last edited:

Remove ads