D&D 5E MENDING spell in DARKSUN???

maritimo80

First Post
Let's start playing darksun adapted for 5th edition.
As the weapons are of inferior materials and break easily (fun in darksun), have you allowed the use of the MENDING cantrip to repair a broken weapon?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I'm no DM, but if I were, I would allow it.
Mending would be one of those things where the sorcerer uses the cantrip and then says out loud for everyone to hear "and that my friends, is the perks of being friends with a psionicist".

Because, you know, civilians in Dark Sun don't like magic, and arcane users generally try to use their powers in unique ways that disguise it as something else.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Well, if anyone wanted to spend one of their cantrip slots on Mending, I would allow it. Out of the three classes that get it inherently on their spell list, only one of them really has the extra picks to throw around for stuff like this. All the other characters who get this are spending significant resources or performing some other kind of trade off for the luxury.

But here is something that most people overlook about the cantrip:

As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage.

This means that some forms of damage are simply beyond the cantrips ability to repair, which is fair (it is a cantrip after all). But also makes it less desirable when you could instead pick up a tool proficiency for much the same effect, and then use that cantrip slot for something with more impact on the game, like Prestidigitation.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Nothing in the original Dark Sun setting materials removes the mending or make whole spells from the game, so why would I not continue to include it while playing Dark Sun in 5th edition?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Yes to mending in darksun.

Just be aware that occasionally a weapon is going to break in ways that mending won't work (for instance - an obsidian sword might shatter into a thousand pieces).

Remove ads