• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Messing up Shelter From The Storm

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Things will be quite different with the party coming well prepared for a fight, and they will be level 6 or maybe even 7 by then, depending on how my side-quests work out.

Rugult

On Call GM
Interesting choices... I myself found that Lee was a pretty 'climatic' battle when run with certain things in mind. Here are some things I think make the initial encounter pretty deadly on its own:

1. The Kapoacinth. If anyone gets up to fight with Lee, these can activate, grapple a PC (decent enough grapple score to get one off with at least one of them) and then jump into the waters. Then it's just a matter of dragging a PC under...

2. The Animal Companion. With an amazing grapple score, this should be more then effective at keeping a PC occupied for a few rounds. Plus if the PC's do decide to beat it on one round in an attempt to 1-shot it... then Lee gets in a full round of not being hassled, which will likely give him at least 2 rounds not engaged...

3. Lee. Even with base stats I think he's a pretty crazy encounter. I'd start him off by buffing (unless the PC's made enough noise that he could prepare some buffs before the fight). Then I'd have him use the rod for a few rounds, causing a bit of damage depending on how fast the companion is handled... Then I'd have him use his spontaneous casting to summon a Large Shark since SleetStorm might not be the best spell for him.... I'd probably even have Lee engage them in the water as he can be quite effective there with his Aspect of Nature up.

Just some thoughts... I found that my party (at the time 5 players) barely pulled through and I wasn't even using jerk tactics on them. Hope that gives you some insight from someone who has DMed the adventure.

Remove ads