D&D 5E My critic on VRGtR

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
1) Well, it seems you missed the fact that you won't turn into a hag if you do not want to. This one is pretty clear. So no downside save a funny look...

2) Yep, it does appear so, but again, no downside as the transformation into a hag is a willing event about which the player has the entire control... So again no downside. Which is unfortunate as the doomed hero trope could have been a very nice thing for a hexblood.
I don’t understand you’re saying there’s no downside to. A hexblood character has not made any pact with anyone that would incur a downside (unless they’re also a warlock, obviously.)
And I can imagine a hexblood making a warlock of infernal type and putting the Night Hag of his forced condition at odds with the devil with which he made a willing pact but said devil has a big animosity with the hag and both vie for the soul/body of the character. A character such as this could play both the devil and the hag against each other while trying to find a way out. Maybe something at la Constantine would make for quite an interesting RP. But by making the transformation into a hag a willing thing removes that possibility.
That’s a very cool character concept, and I don’t think the transformation into a hag being voluntary removes the possibility at all. The hag’s task is just to convince the character to submit to their destiny, rather than to force them into it. That still puts the hag in direct competition with the devil.

Necrozius

Explorer
Ah you can bet that if I had a player interested in one of those Lineages (Hexblood or Dhampir), we’d agree to play up any thematic downsides. Luckily most of my players are aspiring authors, so this comes naturally to them. Ie, if you’re a hexblood, you have an inevitable Destiny to contend with. If you are a Dhampir... well even Blade and Vampire Hunter D had the occasional urges to resist (and deliberate social distancing).

edit: fixed dumb typo

Last edited:

I don’t understand you’re saying there’s no downside to. A hexblood character has not made any pact with anyone that would incur a downside (unless they’re also a warlock, obviously.)

That’s a very cool character concept, and I don’t think the transformation into a hag being voluntary removes the possibility at all. The hag’s task is just to convince the character to submit to their destiny, rather than to force them into it. That still puts the hag in direct competition with the devil.
Yes the concept can be adapted. But it will not be as dramatic and exciting as if the treath is real and can be imposed on the character at any time. When the player is forced to use his/her guile and wits to delay the inevitable it becomes a mind chess game of manipulation of epic proportion. It is way better than a DM trying to convince a character to give up...

Remove ads