D&D General Need help translating a rule.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
hey folks,

Can anybody tell me if this phrasing (taken from BG2): ''May shapeshift into the form of a werewolf once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 2 levels thereafter'', mean that the character gain 1 use of the ability at 1st level and 1 every time he gains 2 level ups after the first level (like at 3rd, 5th, 7th etc) or does it means every 2 levels including the first level(2nd, 4th, 6th etc)

Its pretty basic, but I cant seem to understand the ''thereafter''.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
hey folks,

Can anybody tell me if this phrasing (taken from BG2): ''May shapeshift into the form of a werewolf once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 2 levels thereafter'', mean that the character gain 1 use of the ability at 1st level and 1 every time he gains 2 level ups after the first level (like at 3rd, 5th, 7th etc) or does it means every 2 levels including the first level(2nd, 4th, 6th etc)

Its pretty basic, but I cant seem to understand the ''thereafter''.
Yeah, that phrasing always kind of sucked. If it's using in the 1e meaning, then you'd get increases on the odd levels like the way 1e described gaining weapon proficiencies. I think it got much easier to interpret when the rules shifted to 1/2 level and then followed the standard round-off rules in the game with some specified minimum. It didn't hurt that they usually spelled out when increases are gained on the class table as well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, its from 2e AD&D, I guess.

I took it from the wikia, and no poster use the same format for the acquisition of new features.

I understand it as 1st, 3rd, 5th... thereafter implies subsequently, so one would need to gain 2 levels after gaining the first use. It's the case in Pathfinder which uses the exact same wording for gaining feats, for example. Mais bon, très honnêtement, je suis pas super légitime à donner un avis sur le sens d'une phrase anglaise.

Remove ads